Home > Forum > Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche.

Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche.

• jimjar
  • [jimjar]
More
27 Apr 2004 09:05 #169264 by jimjar
Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche. was created by jimjar
The local Fox news station reported a fatal avalanche this morning involving a person carrying a snowboard. The report said that the individual was swept over a fifteen foot cliff when the avalanche struck. No other details are known, and no one is in the NWAC at this time. <br><br>Everyone be carefull out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
27 Apr 2004 09:53 #169265 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche.
Amen to that. On Red Mt yesterday (just wrote a TR) my partner started a small sluff that propagated into a large wet slide with awesome power. We were safely above it but it was much different than the wet sluffs I am used to seeing that move slowly. <br><br>My condolences to the friends & family of the person that lost their life.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
27 Apr 2004 10:06 - 27 Apr 2004 10:08 #169266 by powscraper
Replied by powscraper on topic Re: Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche.
That is bad news.  Here is a link to a note in the Seattle Times (very brief). sounds like the boarder was up by the ski area 'out-of-bounds,' not actually "on Mt. Baker":<br><br>seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews...6_websnowbody27.html

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
27 Apr 2004 14:03 - 27 Apr 2004 15:14 #169267 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche.
Jimjar:<br>Pardon my insatiable curiosity, but are you the original poster of this information, or are you merely quoting him without attribution?  <br><br> www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19210 <br><br>Edited for clarity.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
27 Apr 2004 15:07 - 28 Apr 2004 05:46 #169268 by powscraper
Are you refering to my post markharf? Who is quoting who without attribution? <br><br>The double-quoted phrase "on Mt. Baker" is from the Seattle Times news clip. You will notice at the end of the snippet, Austin Pass is mentioned.<br><br>The single-quoted 'out-of-bounds' is single-quoted to distinguish it as not being an actual quote, as I would have double-quoted it had it been so, and it is single-quoted as such to signify 'out-of-bounds' as an imaginary entity, defined only in relation to not being in-bounds (such that 'out-of-bounds' in truth implies the entire universe as it exists outside of the ski area, but in practice used to describe only backcountry areas near the ski area).<br>

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
27 Apr 2004 15:23 #169269 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche.
Sorry, Username; I've edited my post to make it clear my question was aimed at the original poster, who appears to be quoting Gary Brill (see the link I supplied in my post). <br><br>You are correct that the AP hasn't grasped the distinction between the Mt. Baker Ski Area and the stratovolcano for which it is named, and you are to be commended for your very admirable attention to the correct placement of the correct varieties of quotation marks. <br><br>I hope that sets things straight.<br><br>Enjoy,<br><br>Mark

• jimjar
  • [jimjar]
More
28 Apr 2004 04:38 #169270 by jimjar
Replied by jimjar on topic Re: Mt. Baker Fatal avalanche.
You are correct. I copied and pasted what Gary had posted on the other site. In my haste to gain more info on the accident I left Gary&#8217;s name off the post, my apologies to Gary and anyone else I might have offended.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
28 Apr 2004 05:45 #169272 by powscraper

Sorry, Username; I've edited my post to make it clear my question was aimed at the original poster, who appears to be quoting Gary Brill (see the link I supplied in my post). <br><br>You are correct that the AP hasn't grasped the distinction between the Mt. Baker Ski Area and the stratovolcano for which it is named, and you are to be commended for your very admirable attention to the correct placement of the correct varieties of quotation marks. <br><br>I hope that sets things straight.<br><br>Enjoy,<br><br>Mark

<br><br><br>Oh I didn't realize that, despite having followed your links. Sorry for being defensive ;D