Home > Trip Reports > Dec 17-18, 2009, Mt. Rainier, Edith Basin W/Pic

Dec 17-18, 2009, Mt. Rainier, Edith Basin W/Pic

12/17/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by krauseb on 12/19/09 4:38am
As noted in the last post there were several crowns visible around the basin and mazama ridge.  The snow was pretty heavy on wednesday with about 2-3' of snow that accumulated through the week.  After a late road opening we got on the snow around were pleased with little cloud cover.  It quickly turned to wet, heavy snow and retreated camp for some hot drink.

Continued to snow through the night giving us another 2" by the morning.  At 6am we were woken by a fox dragging our packs down the hill and clear skies.

(Prints available)

By 7am we were racing the sun to the ridge on edith basin.  The snow was typical of the NW with a small crust layer. 

The temperature climbed into the 40's but still managed to enjoy the bluebird day

Here are some additional photos from the day..

Nice pix.  Did you see the "don't feed the wildlife" sign at the parking lot?  And were you notified of the food conditioned foxes in the area?

author=mreid link=topic=14889.msg62381#msg62381 date=1261327740]
Nice pix.  Did you see the "don't feed the wildlife" sign at the parking lot?  And were you notified of the food conditioned foxes in the area?

Hey Mason, I was notified by the fox in the parking lot following all the people around :-)  Lot of fox and even marten, and 1 set of weasel tracks in the snow in the bc. 

I couldnt help but try to get a picture of the bird. As far as the fox goes.. I went to grab my camera from my pack and it came running over. So I think they're pretty conditioned. I've never heard of the park having a fox problem though

The park has had problems with conditioned foxes for a number of years--people keep feeding them.  This year we implemented winter food storage regulations in the Paradise area to help.  There are lots of people who "just want to get a picture", which is the cause of many of the problems. 

Andy, we just missed you this week--we were out the day you headed to Mazama--we got shooting cracks, lots of whumpfing, and easy shears.  Spooky times.

about the fox problem at the park .. go here to the mt rainier climbing blog and scroll down to "Terminated" to read about it:
http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html

Reply to this TR

dec-17-18-2009-mt-rainier-edith-basin-w-pic
krauseb
2009-12-19 12:38:03