Home > Trip Reports > December 17, 2009, Snoqualmie Pass, Summit West

December 17, 2009, Snoqualmie Pass, Summit West

12/17/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Holly Inclined on 12/17/09 1:12pm
Peter and I left the Tahoe Basin to visit our good friend Silas Wild, for some skiing in the great Northwest.  The freezing forecast wasn't favorable and the fog was foreboding, so we ventured not far off the beaten path of I-90 and skied the recently closed Summit West.
There was 5+ inches of wet, new snow on the groomed runs. The snow was soft and rivulets were evidence of a rain event.  We skinned up less than 1000' to see if the fog would lift and visibility improve.  After rescuing Silas' glove from an unfortunate slide and burial, the clouds lifted enough to show the mountains that Silas has planned to lead us through.  Kendall Trees, yeah that would have been good, Red Mountain, nice looking peak, etc., but we were across the valley, and Summit West would be fun.

We made the first few tentative turns of our less than gnarly descent and found the snow grippy and solid.  Good turns, good fun.
nice report.

my guess is that silas stopped in at the admin office and tried to get his pass too ;)  any luck?  funny that he dug his gloves out today.  2 days ago it was a ski from his yard sale. :)

enjoy the rest of your stay!

The snow quality improved noticeably above 3500' level; there it had a thin freezing rain crust atop 8-12" of midweight powder, much better than we expected.  We were told the skiing was excellent at Alpental in the morning, and unfortunately chair 2 broke down midday.

Hi Holly,

Nice to hear that you and Peter stopped by.  I assume Silas will be taking you out near Crystal or Paradise or Baker on Friday/Saturday with the weather break.  Enjoy the PNW views before the next cycle begins Sunday. 

Jill and I may stop by Tahoe late spring.  I'll email you if we are around Incline.

Zap

Reply to this TR

december-17-2009-snoqualmie-pass-summit-west
Holly Inclined
2009-12-17 21:12:46