Home > Trip Reports > ONP, Hurricane Ridge 12/12/09

ONP, Hurricane Ridge 12/12/09

12/15/09
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 12/12/09 1:20pm
Jan, her brother Jeff and arrived at the Ridge at about 9:00 to find ourselves the only car in the parking lot. We skied west out the Hurricane Hill road to the turn around, the top 2-3" of the snow was a mixture of surface hoar and faceted snow. We poked around on a couple of north facing aspects, both looked ugly. The surface was frozen solid, no evidence of faceting. Not being inclined to see how far down these conditions persisted, we elected to head back towards the lodge.

About half way back is a south facing run affectionately named the "Toilet Bowl". Snow conditions here were much better. The top 3+" was surface hoar and faceted snow on a supportave, edgeable crust. We made a couple 400 vf runs here.

We skinned back eastward up the Wolf Creek trail to the road and headed back towards the lodge. Just west of the lodge is a southwest aspect that drops at a steadily increasing slope angle for about 600 vf. Again we found 2-4" of soft snow on top of an edgable crust. The lower part of this run is steep enough that booting up it was preferable to skinning. I broke through the crust a few times, the snow below the crust was again very faceted.

Although the skiing today was pretty decent, the conditions we found definitely raise some red flags for what the stability could be once we get some new snow.

Here is a link to a few more pictures;

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20091212ToiletBowlLodgeSlopeSki?authkey=Gv1sRgCI-kz5WjpNKpSA#

Gary and Jan

Nice to see a report from ONP.
I agree with you about the snow.
Joedabaker and I went walkabout outta Crystal today and found some very variable conditions.
From hard pack icy to faceted surface snow to hard slab and soft slab over faceated layers depending on aspect.
Avy danger may be low on NWAC but it's still possible to find some areas with hard slab that cracks  and propegates above a faceated layer. We backed off several slopes as a result.

It could be pretty interesting for a few days re avy danger if we get significant snow but then 8500 ft by end of week. :(

author=Scotsman link=topic=14813.msg62041#msg62041 date=1260688682]
Avy danger may be low on NWAC but it's still possible to find some areas with hard slab that cracks  and propegates above a faceated layer. We backed off several slopes as a result.

I agree, I backed off a steep route half way up the other day (12/10) in the 542 area after finding a foot of finger hardslab over a foot+ of fist facets, supper hollow sounding - sketchy. Also on the approach I got a big wumph as I stomped a low angle wind slab.

Thanks for the report Gary, almost headed up there this weekend but didn't think the conditions warranted the drive from Port Townsend, glad to hear someone is out there gettin after it.

GaryJan:

I saw your tracks yesterday on that southwest aspect to the west of the lodge.

Your concerns regarding slides are well founded as there was a rather large slab that fractured to ground level on the northeast face just 50 yards or less along the ridge from the end of the Hurricane Hill Parking lot. I've seen more slides occur there than anywhere in the area in the past 25 years.

I was skiing at the Ridge both yesterday and again this afternoon.  Flurries today did not amount to much in the way of new snow. "Steep and Icy" is steep and icy and inspired at least two pinners to take off their skis and walk it.  Maybe an inch or so of snow on top of ice there.  Still signs of the trail winding up to the top the Hill with predictable ice, grass,  crud and a little powder thrown in.  Fog, blowing snow and poor visibility enveloped the peak all day. Some pockets of good skiing can be found in powder filled chutes, bowls, and in the trees otherwise it is pretty wind scoured. More snowshoers than skiers out today with seems par for the course these days.

author=runcle link=topic=14813.msg62080#msg62080 date=1260767650]
GaryJan:

I was skiing at the Ridge both yesterday and again this afternoon.  Flurries today did not amount to much in the way of new snow. "Steep and Icy" is steep and icy and inspired at least two pinners to take off their skis and walk it.  Maybe an inch or so of snow on top of ice there.  Still signs of the trail winding up to the top the Hill with predictable ice, grass,  crud and a little powder thrown in.  Fog, blowing snow and poor visibility enveloped the peak all day. Some pockets of good skiing can be found in powder filled chutes, bowls, and in the trees otherwise it is pretty wind scoured. More snowshoers than skiers out today with seems par for the course these days.

Our original plan was to tour to Hurricane Hill and then ski the SE facing gladed slope down into Little River and then head back. When we got to the end of the road it was evident that Hurricane Hill was socked in. We didn't have much interest in wandering around in the fog, so we elected for plan B. I'll second the snowshoer comment, there must have been 30 of them on the road as we were skiing back towards Hurricane Ridge.

Regarding Scotsman's comment about the freezing level going up this weekend, it may just be a good thing given this nasty stuff currently on the surface. A good rain soaking might help to break down this weak stuff.

Gary

Reply to this TR

onp-hurricane-ridge-12-12-09
Gary_H
2009-12-12 21:20:33