Home > Trip Reports > Cayoosh Mountain, BC Dec 4-6, 2009

Cayoosh Mountain, BC Dec 4-6, 2009

12/15/09
Canada BC
Posted by Jason_H. on 12/11/09 3:19am

My friend Sky calls me occasionally to go ski in Canada. I'm usually apprehensive. This time, that wasn't necessary. After a long drive, a stay at Alex's parents vacation home in Whistler, we were off to the Wendy Thompson Hut.

I thought I had brought enough clothes for the trip, but we all agreed by its end that we needed more. Not only a massive puffy and mittens, but face masks as well.

After an easy day in, nice touring on good snow, a storm came in with what appeared to be MORE good snow. WE were stoked. Then the wind came and huffed and huffed until everything was buffeted to windboard. But - that snow had to have gone somewhere? After going to bed, all of us were woken in the middle of the night by a massive crashing sound that shook the entire structure! Turns out the cornice on top of the hut had grown so large, it had reached critical mass and broke off. I guess that's where some of the snow went, eh? That is before escaping the Coast Range altogether.

The next day it was decided that we would climb Cayoosh, one of the larger peaks in the area. Between the hut and the peak itself is a pass. This was gained early in the morning and was where Amar decided that the wind and cold were too much for him. Not so studious and less wise, we continued on, happy that the sun had come out and perhaps warmer temps were just around the corner. This was not to be.

The climb up the glacier was began by traversing beneath a wonderfully distracting ski line that was unfortunately wind plastered and full of hard slabs. Continuing we came close to several crevasses whose December snow coverage was less than appealing, so we sought the ridge and its relative safety. Little did we know, that the aforementioned wind was so ferocious! Crossing to what we thought would be a good resting place instead morphed into an ill-advised crossing into the face of a wind-powered sand-blaster! I stumbled and crawled with my hands over my face back to where we had been, on the other side of the ridge. The gusts were powerful. Sky's nose froze a bit and I felt like my face had been ripped off. We won't be doing that again.

We instead traversed along the ridge, finding easy going on skins all the way over a few small passes, before arriving at another that brought us around to the backside of the peak. It was here that light flooded through clouds onto wind buffeted ridges where it spun snow out into sky, coloring it pink. It was something of a sight! Making Sky and I's wait for Alex inconsequential, especially since we had finally found a place the wind ignored. 

A rime-surrounded couloir packed in hard, smooth snow led us to the final few feet, which I climbed, feeling my efforts could in no way make up for Sky's full-day lead, but nevertheless, I snapped a photo of the hero himself. I'm sure he's already gotten over it.

The way back was on sastrugi and windboard. Suffice it to say, the skiing sucked, but the climb was fantastic! To see new mountains is a thrill that can't be ignored and neither could the fading light. Darkness was fast approaching, as early winter days are very short, so we rushed down to the lakes far below. By then, dusk had come, and so, leaving before the others, I led the way back up to the pass where we had earlier crossed. To make my climb more rewarding, wind made its thundering return, slowing me down each time I had to wait it out. Since my skins were having trouble biting into the windboard my progress was slowed down even further. Without goggles (cause it was dark out) I'd close my eyes and wait for the wind to stop, then move up as far as I could before waiting once more. About 100-ft from the top, I postholed the remaining distance to the top and waited for the others.

I managed a night shot of Alex. The price was the same as it had been all day, aching fingers. By that point my very expensive camera was nearly a lump of ice. Encrusted in every crevasse was snow. What excited me was that it still worked perfectly and to say that the Standard Operating Temperature is only 32-104°F/0-40°C is laughable. But so be it, I'm happy to smirk. Standards are made to be broken, right?

The final ski down was on awesome snow. I don't know where it went the next morning, but that night it was a white carpet of joy that carried us all the way to the final shuffle to the Cabin. What a day! Inside another 6 people had showed up. It turns out one of them was John Baldwin, who wrote 'Exploring the Coast Range on Skis'.

The next and final day was spent lapping terrible snow. By late afternoon, we returned to clean up the hut and head back to the cars. We managed the return by shuffling all the way, without having to resort to skinning.

All in all, this was another great weekend in Canada. I'm really beginning to enjoy these occasional raids across the border. Expect many more to come!!! Other so-called raids: .

And, unlike the few days I spent just prior to this trip...in the Chiwaukums, staying in a cabin is the way to go, although there certainly is something to be said about being outside as well.

Thanks for the report, Jason.  When will the poster of your 3rd pic be available?

Great TR and that shot of Cayoosh is stunning!

I think your drawing of our route is misplaced, Jase.  We were right of the dinosaur.  As bothersome as that one crevasse already was where we tried to go, I'm sure glad we didn't take the line you drew!

And my nose has been peeling a bit the last few days.  Brrr.

Until the next raid.

Sky, thanks, as I couldn't remember what side we had taken. I'll jump on adobe and fix it sometime today.

glenn_b, if you want a poster, I'm sure I could make one! I'm glad you like the pics.

As always super pumped to see your images and hear about some high adventure. Great TR.

I'm curious about the last image. I see stars out. Is that the moon or the sun??? Cool picture.

The last image is...as you guessed...of the stars and moon. Perhaps I'll do a TR of that trip. We'll see if I get inspired. 

That's such a great area - I've only explored Cerise Creek.  Beautiful photos. I like that night shot with the tent as well.

Just getting familiar with my first digital slr camera. Do you carry multiple lenses with you on your tours or do you tend to use 1 most often? Any suggestions for carrying case? I haven't quite figured out the best way to carry my camera. Also - any tips on protecting against moisture?

author=rob_d link=topic=14797.msg62057#msg62057 date=1260743831]
That's such a great area - I've only explored Cerise Creek.  Beautiful photos. I like that night shot with the tent as well.

Just getting familiar with my first digital slr camera. Do you carry multiple lenses with you on your tours or do you tend to use 1 most often? Any suggestions for carrying case? I haven't quite figured out the best way to carry my camera. Also - any tips on protecting against moisture?

There's no good way to carry a big SLR. That being said, I use a harness and carry the camera on my chest. This can get pretty scary on steeper descents or climbing, but it has worked so far.

The case provides some protection from moisture. My Nikon is sealed very well and I've taken it out in all conditions, including rain. I'm not sure how other cameras handle the moisture.

I carry two lenses...a 17-35 2.8 (wish it was the 28-70 2.8) and a 150 2.8 fixed.

I'd guess all my gear is over 10lbs, so you really have to love it to carry that much.

Hope that helps.

looks like the new camera is working out for you jason. That third one is stellar.

Looks like you guys took the long route to Cayoosh.Too many days slogging in the Cascades.Cool to see the view from that side of the mountain.

Reply to this TR

cayoosh-mountain-bc-dec-4-6-2009
Jason_H.
2009-12-11 11:19:06