Home > Forum > spam zone theory and forecasting explained

spam zone theory and forecasting explained

• Telly.Savalas
  • [Telly.Savalas]
More
10 Dec 2009 12:10 #189358 by Telly.Savalas
spam zone theory and forecasting explained was created by Telly.Savalas
Several years ago while carrying skis over a muddy trail the hypothesis was put forth that there is an inverse relationship between skiing conditions and levels of spam on TAY. This is illustrated in figure 1 which shows that poor skiing conditions correlate with greater quantities of spam while excellent skiing conditions correlate with lesser quantities of spam. While the hypothesis seemed intuitively correct and was accepted with general consensus by the community it remained unconfirmed after several years of careful data collection and analysis. Clearly the phenomenon was more complex! I theorized that the level of spam on TAY is directly proportional to the delta between skier’s expectations and actual skiing conditions. This is confirmed in figure two which shows that while skier expectations typically spike up dramatically in November, actual skiing conditions do not typically spike until late December/January.
The resultant discrepancy is known as the “Spam Zone”.
This year we seem to be experiencing a particularly strong spam zone event.
While this may seem academic, further study may enable us to predict skier expectation levels based on phenomena such as early season snow or the release of new ski movies or even the posting of awesome trip reports from other regions of the world. This forecasting could then be overlaid with current weather modeling forecasts giving us an accurate “spam forecast” for the next couple of weeks. Armed with a sophisticated spam forecasting system TAY moderators may gain the strategic advantage needed to better implement appropriate control measures. Just an idea.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Dec 2009 15:09 #189370 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: spam zone theory and forecasting explained
I thought your hypothesis was correct until I saw emails between you and Perry Mason that confirmed you had been skewing your data.
It's gonna snow on Sunday so we should be OK for a while

• Telly.Savalas
  • [Telly.Savalas]
More
10 Dec 2009 15:50 #189379 by Telly.Savalas
Replied by Telly.Savalas on topic Re: spam zone theory and forecasting explained

I thought your hypothesis was correct until I saw emails between you and Perry Mason that confirmed you had been skewing your data.

Much like weather modeling "spam-zone-forecasting" remains as much an art as a science. Tweaking data is just part of the process.

It's gonna snow on Sunday so we should be OK for a while

Phew! I was starting to get concerned...Until then we just need to hunker down and bear the inevitable blizzard of spam as expectation levels rise in anticipation of Sunday's snow.