Home > Trip Reports > April 24, 2004, Illumination Rock, Mt Hood

April 24, 2004, Illumination Rock, Mt Hood

4/24/04
OR Mt Hood
Posted by PDX-XCD on 4/24/04 10:02pm
I'm posting not because I can provide much novel info - after all there are hordes of people on most of this route at this time of the year - but rather to celebrate my first ever skinning trip and to encourage others to post info relating to Mts Hood, Jefferson, Three Sisters etc. This is my first Spring backcountry skiing, so am thirsty for info on routes that are easily accessed from Portland.

Left Timberline parking lot at 11:15 after filling out a Wilderness Permit. Skinned up the ridge to the east of the snowcat climbers route, and then along the eastern boundary of the ski area. Traversed to the left for a lunch stop just above Palmer topstation at 1:10 pm, then continued the upwards traverse to the Illumination Saddle, which I reached just after 2 pm. Sat and enjoyed the sunshine, quiet, and views all the way south to the Sisters. Skied the 3400 vertical back to the car in 30 minutes and with ample displays of my new-teleskier form (i.e a few tumbles). Above Palmer the new snow from the past few days was soft, a little heavy, and very turnable except at slow speeds. It was still mostly untracked.

Oops....a mile down the road I recalled that I had forgotten to note my return in the climbers' registry, so had to make a quick return. Still made it home by 4:30 and mowed the lawn before dinner, which pleased the wife.

Let's hear from those of you skiing near Portland!

Thanks for the TR. While reading this forum I sometimes forget there are mountains near Portland ;)

Illumination Rock is a beautiful trip! If my hip injury allows me to get out next weekend I'll post a TR.

Gaper Jeffeeyyyyyyyyyy
from the Greater Portland Metro Area

Yes, those south side Hood tours are handy and great skiing.
Jeffey, we've got a gang convening on your fair mountain on Sunday afternoon (climbing Monday).  If you happen to be coming down from a south side tour and have time, look for us in the Rams Head early afternoon or the Silcox Hut late afternoon.

Thanks Ron! If I'm on the mtn Sun I'll say Hi.

There's skiing in Oregon? You gotta be kidding me!  ;)

Paul,

I'd happily cross to WA, I just can't (don't want to) drive 5 hours each way every weekend to get to the real mountains in WA or BC.

I'm aiming to go to Crater Rock on Hood this weekend, and Mt St Helens sometime before the May 15th.

I see from your TR website that you've done some great stuff in central OR. Any recommendations for a mid-May trip around the Sisters? I cross-country skied the Tam MacArthur Rim earlier this winter. Seemed like it would be a nice place to camp in Spring. Any good spots for turns?

Steven

I'd happily cross to WA, I just can't (don't want to) drive 5 hours each way every weekend to get to the real mountains in WA or BC.
<snip>
Any recommendations for a mid-May trip around the Sisters?

Ah but you realize driving from PDX to the Sisters takes longer then driving to Rainier  ;D

If Cascade Lakes Hwy is open South Sister boosts wondeful spring skiing. For multi-day bc camps Green Lakes is a great destination. I also hear that the Camp Lake area between Middle and South Sis is excellent for bc base-type camps.

Jeffeyyy

There's skiing in Oregon? You gotta be kidding me!  ;)

I've heard this unconfirmed, probably false rumor that folks from WA sometimes travel to *gasp* Oreghan to make October turns. This rumor must be a conspiracy.

That's only because they're unwilling to hike to the REALLY good snow.  ;D

I haven't done much, but here's what I've got: Bailey is fun, but if you have to park at the snopark it's a LOOONG slog. Lots of stuff in the Sisters, like Jeff says. Bachelor after the lifts close. Thielsen. In winter or early spring, Black Butte (difficult to get in good conditions), the hump next to 3finger Jack, Maxwell Butte, Tumalo (powder....oooohhhh). Diamond Peak. Maiden Peak. Those are the only ones I've done; when you've done them, sacrifice the time and come on up here!

But I've been based in Eugene for all these trips, getting to any of these would be a pretty substantial drive from PDX. But grab a topo and use your imagination, you'll find plenty.  

pdx,

If you're up for volcano skiing, Amar has some good beta on his site that may be of use to you:
http://www.skimountaineer.com/CascadeSki/CascadeSki.html

I'm certain he could expound if you had specific questions.
-s

This was our May trip when I was at U of O.  I posted this a couple years ago on the 'other' site.  It may break some unwritten brotherhood code on this site, but what the heck, I'll live dangerously:

This seems a good place to post Aaron Novick's trip up into N. Sister. We usually did this trip in early May.

Get yourself to Pole Ck. Campground and take the logging road N. from the camp until you get to the red cross hairs on this map:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=4894580&e=602894&s=25&size=m

There is an abandoned trail from here that goes NW to Alder Ck. This trail is shown on the Imus Geographics map of Three Sisters. Take the trail towards Alder. When you break out of forest, work by compass and resist the temptation to gain too much elev.

Once you get down into Alder Ck. drainage, head up towards N. Sister and an obvious ramp on skier's right will appear to take you out of the drainage and over to the vast lava fields and Collier Glacier. The ramp is here (red cross hairs):

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=4892700&e=598104&s=25&size=m

In earlier season, you can take a lower logging road directly to Alder Creek and just ski up that. I've never done that however. Have fun and be safe. We often did this as a day trip from Eugene.

Ah but you realize driving from PDX to the Sisters takes longer then driving to Rainier  ;D

Yes, but I5 is a much less scenic & pleasant drive. The fun should start ASAP and last ALAP.

Reply to this TR

april-24-2004-illumination-rock-mt-hood
PDX-XCD
2004-04-25 05:02:27