Home > Trip Reports > April 24, 2004, Hidden Lake Peaks

April 24, 2004, Hidden Lake Peaks

4/24/04
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by ema on 4/24/04 8:07am
hot off the press, in case someone is heading that way on sunday.

can drive to within half hour of the trailhead. patchy snow on that part of the road, somewhat skinnable. continuous snow in the forest until you hit the old growth, the ski carry to the avy path.

conditions seemed stable, only point releases noticed.

skiing ranged from awsome at the top (3 inches of smoooth velvety new, oh the memory of those turns will stay with me for a while) to marginal - glop you couldn't turn in in the avy path. didn't ski the south-facing stuff but judging from the one turn i took, the snow was significantly heavier than on the north facing side.
I was with Ema yesterday, this is for the three other parties we met. I dropped a blue Cloudveil jacket between the trailhead and the car, on the way out. If you picked it up, please send me an email - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I met you folks in the morning at the P&R... How were the clouds up there? It almost looked like from marblemount that HLP would be above the layer!

From Rainy Pass area, it was partly cloudy until about noon, and and it looked like there was a cloud around Forbidden all day. The cool temps made midday touring pleasant...

- Kevin

I was in the other party of two that met you on the top.  We had a great 1500' run down the NE side after dropping down the ridge a few hundred feet. The slope had some rolls, but was nice steepness of 35 degrees I'm guessing.  Not much sluffing.  Mostly 2" on firm base for velvety turns with a couple grabby spots and a bit mushy at 5500'.  Climbed back up to the ridge and skied down the other side about 1500' through the trees until we traversed to the skiers right to the main open gulley below Sibley Pass.  We found really deep mushy snow at this elevation.

Bryan skied in the Tatoosh on Sunday and said there was up to 18" of newer snow there and was very sloppy with the warmer day.

Note that on the way in, we walked the trail to about 4200' before putting on the skis.  A bit lower elevation than we found last weekend on Granite Mtn where we had to hike to 4600'.

Nice day.  Had enough clearing and sun to see the Triad Peaks, but unfortunately clouds hung over the bigger peaks.

Ema, Stebbi:

I am planning on heading up there for an overnight this saturday -- I'll keep an eye out for the jacket if you havn't already found it ...

Let me know if you're interested in heading out again and want to meet up!

- Kevin

Reply to this TR

april-24-2004-hidden-lake-peaks
ema
2004-04-24 15:07:27