Home > Trip Reports > Dec 5, 2009, Helitrope Ridge Snowkiting

Dec 5, 2009, Helitrope Ridge Snowkiting

12/5/09
Posted by tuna on 12/7/09 3:06am
The trip was a success! The snow has covered lower elevations since I was here last which forced us to park the car 1.3 miles from the TH. Easy hiking along the road, then moderate through the forest, and finally getting easier as we approached the timberline. The total hike to where we launched was 3.5 miles from the car to where we launched. Check out the route here: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=vdxgwtubxwkobvxn

It was a long hike in, but on the return we were able to snowboard/ski down at least 50-60% of it. Due to the cold temperature, the battery on my phone/GPS did not last long and I was unable to record the path I actually snowkited.

Ok, uber geek time!
Purple = trail
Red = wind direction
Green = comfortable riding area
blue line = about the highest I kited up. ...would have gone farther but I went back down hill to kite with Robert and Neri

The sled I used had its advantages and disadvantages, but I will definitely bring it agin next time to hold camping gear   . I feel the trip was well worth the effort, but next time I am going to set up camp just below the timberline and go for at least 2 days 1 night.

The bad news is this; as the snow continues to covers the lower elevations, the hike gets longer and longer..... untill pretty soon you have to thumb a ride from a passing snowmobile. I wish I had one, or at least knew somebody cool that had one   

...and oh yea, snow conditions.... yea not too good,      Still awesome trip overall!
Nice report!
Other than the approach, who needs skins?
I would really like to do this someday.
What size is your sail?
How did you anticipate the wind direction for that long hike in?
What if the wind was coming downslope when you got there?
I imagine that you have to have some pretty good skill so you don't get launched off the snow 30 plus feet!

Way to go in the not so stellar snow conditions!
Guess this works well with artic outflow.

Can you give an estimate for windspeeds?

The kite pictured is a 2008 Ocean Rodeo, Rise 12m^2.  (you asked what size sail I used, ypu must have done some windsurfing at some point)

I have been waiting for this weather system for a while.  If you look at my other post: http://pskite.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4225 you will see the development of this trip, including a trip up there w/o wind. I knew I just needed to wait for a high pressure system which creates these cold artic outflows through the fraiser river valley.

I think the wind was averaging 10-20mph with a gust here or there a bit higher.  From where I launched, it only took me a few minutes (hard to say exactly) to get up to my highest point.

If the wind had been moving downslope, a south wind for example, I would have hiked the south side of the mountain, or went to MRNP.  Unfortunately, south winds often bring poor visibility.  I was stoked to be out there under clear skys.

"I imagine that you have to have some pretty good skill so you don't get launched off the snow 30 plus feet!"  ...yes there is some skill involved, However I consistently jump 20' or so.  My highest jump on the mountains was somewhere around 50' ,and while kiteboarding about 40' over water.

"My highest jump on the mountains was somewhere around 50' "

SWEET!!!  :D

Great report

I've always been impressed kite skiers.  Holly and I used to love watching them at the Col du Lautaret when we were over there.  Here is a video we took: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/sethandholly/europe-2005-06/1173609240/tpod.html

Scroll down to "kite skier video".  That guy would get some serious air.

Looks fun.

I read an article last summer in the Oregonian that they (Forest Service) is considering banning kites from Wilderness areas. The article was about a group out of Bend Or that has been kite boarding in the 3 Sisters wilderness. The groups against kite boarding are using the mechanized travel clause that also bans bicycles from wilderness areas.

author=OldHouseMan link=topic=14752.msg61804#msg61804 date=1260341654]
Looks fun.

I read an article last summer in the Oregonian that they (Forest Service) is considering banning kites from Wilderness areas. The article was about a group out of Bend Or that has been kite boarding in the 3 Sisters wilderness. The groups against kite boarding are using the mechanized travel clause that also bans bicycles from wilderness areas.

yeah, I read that article too and not certain what to think about it. After all a sail is natural and certainly kite skiing leaves no trace. Also... I am an AT skiier, which has a mechanical pivot and in no way do I feel AT skiing should be banned from wilderness areas. I certainly do not see any harm in kite skiing either. talk about a no impact sport, like any skiing...

great trip report

Reply to this TR

dec-5-2009-helitrope-ridge-snowkiting
tuna
2009-12-07 11:06:55