Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Buckhorn Nov 29

Mt. Buckhorn Nov 29

11/15/09
Posted by RonL on 11/30/09 12:29am
The roads are very drivable with only 3" or so at trailhead. Continuous snow for skinning was an hour+ up the trail and 3+ feet at Marmot Pass. The big slide paths from Buckhorn had already slid, one of them to the ground. The sun came out only periodically but it was enough to send a few rocks wizzing past me as I climbed a chute on Buckhorn. The ridge and summit area were pretty scoured and the trail is visible in places. The N side had some decent windblown snow. I saw evidence of one natural slide on the N side below a steep rollover. I briefly got glimpses of the top quarter of Constance and Warrior through the clouds. I scrambled about the summit for a bit and then skied a different chute than I had climbed. It was a tough runneled and debri clogged ski but worth it to get out and explore another part of this area.
Awesome you got out there, such a cool area!! were you able to see Mt Townsend?

Very cool. Sounds like similar conditions that I had when I skied it with Phil a few years ago. Awesome place.

I had good visibility toward Townsend and could see the water clearly. I could not see the water toward the east due to clouds while I was up there.

Jason, I was searching the web on the area before I left and found your trip report. Reading it helped me keep the faith that there would be skiing up there. It did seem similar to your exerience, especially when I was finding my way to the true summit and stumbled across the trail on the ridge. I may have skied a chute that was to the west of what you and Phil skied but it could have been the same one.

Good job skiing Buckhorn!

I was on Townsend that day and looked over to Buckhorn and thought, "I wonder if RonL is skiing out there!"  Sure enough!  The hike in looked to long for my liking that day.  Thanks for keying me into that area.

Great trip Ron,
Wished we could have joined you, but I had to work over the holiday weekend.  :(  Buckhorn is one of the peaks still on our list to do, thanks for the beta.
Your pictures reminded me of an off-trail hiking trip we did in September into Heather Creek Basin, Deception Basin, Milk Creek Basin and Royal Basin, there are enough lines in those 4 drainages to keep a person busy for an entire season.  :)

Gary and Jan

Nice outing Ron, and good pix.

Isn't the first one Mount "Fricaba"? 

Ha, thanks Mack. I did mean Fricaba.

That sounds like a nice trip Gary. There is alot to explore over there.

Teledavid, if I had known I would have waved to you.

Hi Ron!  Great to see where you're skiing these days.  But, alas, where's the "these are my turns" shot? 

Reply to this TR

mt-buckhorn-nov-29
RonL
2009-11-30 08:29:38