Home > Trip Reports > Blackcomb / Decker November 27, 2009

Blackcomb / Decker November 27, 2009

11/15/09
Canada BC
Posted by James Wells on 11/27/09 10:34am
My brother John and I met Lee, Sharon, Mark, and Tobias at the Rendezvous on Blackcomb, and as soon as 7th Heaven was running we went there and to the top.  Along the way to the top of the col at the top of Blackcomb Glacier there were many powder lines ready to be skied, but not for us today as we had a destination.  Lee had declared that as the day was so great, we had to go to Decker.  So we skied down into the valley and started up the Decker Glacier.  Passed an impressive crevasse and then we had a little adventure going up the cornice.  I was lucky, by the time I went up it was well notched out and even featured a handy person with a ski pole to tug on.

From the top of Decker (and all the way up and down) amazing views abounded on a sparkling day.  Looking down Decker, Lee rated the stability to be excellent because you could see where cornices had cut loose and had not resulted in notable slides, really encouraging.

We got an excellent powder line down the W face of Decker.  A smaller skin up and we then skied down Body Bag which had a few rocks (I know I caught a good one) but otherwise also featured excellent untracked powder.  This feeds into 7th Heaven, then it was down the groomers.  We downloaded the Blackcomb Gondola because the lower mountain is still pretty patchy and has yucky ice from Wendesday's storm.

Thanks to everyone, a great day, two thumbs up.  Maybe I'll have a picture or two that's any good, surely Lee does if he chooses to post a link.
Did you make use of a back country pass (if available) or pay the full lift ticket price? Sure sounds like a decent November day, either way.

We chose to go with the full lift ticket for the most flexibility.  So I think it was $69 on my Edge card.  This morning we were a little early so we took an extra lap on Jersey Cream, which you can't do with te BC pass.

Another time (last Thanksgiving) OB was so dismal that we bailed back in bounds.

tx james - Sharon put up the photos.  Video is up too now

http://www.leelau.net/2009/Decker2009_11_27/

Great shots, Sharon and Lee!  Eak!

Great video footage! 

What kind of camera are you using for those shots?

author=hypermartyr link=topic=14637.msg61356#msg61356 date=1259607570]
Great video footage! 

What kind of camera are you using for those shots?

Thx - its described in the video descriptive text

http://vimeo.com/7861221

Reply to this TR

blackcomb-decker-november-27-2009
James Wells
2009-11-27 18:34:33