Home > Trip Reports > November 21, 2009, Shames Mtn Slackcountry

November 21, 2009, Shames Mtn Slackcountry

11/21/09
Posted by NWBCer on 11/23/09 1:21pm
Quick little outing on Sat garnered some very nice pow, and a great start to the hill's slack-country season. Though the wheels won't be turning for another couple of weeks at the hill, it was a good opportunity to go for a quick rip, dig a pit to ground (this is neigh on impossible later on in the season), and get some freshies. The snow pack at the top of the T bar (see lonely shot of T bar-less cable), was 1.9m. Skied a sublime line from top of 2nd knoll to valley bottom. This was all of knee deep, verging on waist deep. Then skinned up and did a run on the hill called Hangover that had seen a couple of tracks this year. Very nice all round. Very stable snowpack saw hoards of keeners (young and old) heading out to Cats and Zymacord & some "best evers" were heard.

Parking area vehicle counts were reminiscent of normal "open" mid week February stats.
Hilarious

Oh Gary, you're making me homesick!
Let see it's only 23 hrs away by car..... If I left now I could be skiing by...???
Thanks.
Hoping for the best with the local initiative to turn it into a co-op.

Well, if you could average 140km/hr.....
Come on man 23 hours!? Doesn't the young Scotsman have his DL yet?
Thanks for the good wishes Scottie it's a bit of a cluster at the moment, as you may or may not know. We'll keep on plodding along though! Have a good one mate.

god those pictures make me ache in joy and anticipation

Let me guess - still less people on the hill then there were fresh new snow in cms?

Shames Rules!  I only had one week long ski trip there a few years back.  It was a good week of skiing!

Too bad it's so far from Seattle.

LeeL:
Did the calcs - 18 vehicles ave 3 people per = 54 potential skiers
fresh snow at time of visit at location of profile = 60cm
You are correct.
Cannot include at least 40cms since time of visit however - it's puking up there!

Feck:
It's not that far if you fly  ;)

Correction - I said a couple of weeks until opening, wrong. More like 3, opening day is Dec 11 :'(

Reply to this TR

november-21-2009-shames-mtn-slackcountry
NWBCer
2009-11-23 21:21:42