Home > Trip Reports > April 17, 2004, Mt. Hood, Hogsback

April 17, 2004, Mt. Hood, Hogsback

4/17/04
OR Mt Hood
Posted by jhamaker on 4/18/04 10:25pm
Too much new to do the headwall rts we were interested in, so we dumped overnight packs above the Palmer ($15 for one ride, open 8:30-4?).

Following the well stompted tracks of the herd we made it to the summit and I skied down while Pat L. and John T. stood by to fetch me out of any holes I might find on the way down.  Actualy, we left the rope down by the lift, so all they could reasonably be expected to do would have been to mark wich hole I was in.

4-24" over hard sun crust.  Minor wind damage to otherwise great snow.  Heading up, most or all of the naturaly released slides were on E facing slopes.  All looked like pt releases.

Was able to ski "Glade" all the way down to Gov't Camp.
Nice report!  I was under the impression that they didn't allow people with skis to buy a one ride ticket.  It seems like I may have been wrong?

I asked at the ticket window on Saturday, April 17:
$16 to top of Palmer and apparently they may require you to show MLU.
$ 8 to top of Magic Mile.

I skied the lifts all day for $32 to try my new T3s & Karhu Dorado's.
I'm new to this game, having just graduated from either skiing cross-country & leather or regular alpine gear. Hoping to do some skinning next weekend. Would welcome suggestions for Hood terrain.

Was able to ski "Glade" all the way down to Gov't Camp.

Cool. I've wanted to ski from the top of Hood all the way down to Govt Camp for quite a while now. How did you get back from there to Timberline?  Did you hitchhike, have a second car, or is there any local bus service?

Reply to this TR

april-17-2004-mt-hood-hogsback
jhamaker
2004-04-19 05:25:47