Home > Trip Reports > April 18, 2004, 2 Annual Crystal Ski Fest

April 18, 2004, 2 Annual Crystal Ski Fest

4/18/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 4/18/04 7:37pm
Thanks for the very nice comments under "Random Tracks" but since we all had such a GREAT time at the "ski fest" I believe this is worthy of a "real" BC trip posting  ;D  Thanks to Crystal Mountain for closing with still enough snow for the diehard BC skiers to enjoy.  There certainly wasn't enough for the lift assisted to enjoy, but plenty for us.  It was a great day with perfect weather.  Saturday night had produced a light dusting of fresh snow, and Sunday we were greeted by sunny skies.  Several of us arrived early to get the "geezer" pace going and stay ahead of the younger, strong, fast ones.  There were about 30 - 40 of us ranging in ages from 7 to 60+   8)  It was a wonderful day getting to know and talk to everyone who has read or posted on TAY.  Nice to meet and put faces with poster names.  We arrived at the top of the Forest Queen at various times during the day.  Some of us who arrived early decided to skin to the top of High Campbell and have a run, while others visited and watched, waiting for the "perfect" time to do their runs. SAG and Greg L climbed to the top of Silver King and had an awsome ride down through the chutes. The snow was stable with a solid base on all aspects, higher elevations had two to four inches of fresh snow, and with the sun's warming, had corned up by the time Ron, Jerry, Evan, and myself had decided to return to our pre planned party station.  Several people took several runs while others of us just enjoyed the more social aspect of the whole event.  Thanks to Kam and his strong crew for bringing the "special" camelback and BBQ, and all who contributed to the buffet.  Jerry for the sound system, and great selection of tunes. Our best run of the day, was the last one.  Ron and I skied C Mack with only one bulldozer gouge to manuver otherwise it was creamy corn all the way down to the base. It was fun to see our "ski fest" turn into a family event, with Lowell Skoog playing "snow" baseball with his 7 year old son Tom, who poached a tow up to the party area from his dad.  Hmmmm, wonder how we can all hook up with this program for next year.  It was nice meeting everyone and sharing the back country experience that we all enjoy so much.  Mark your calendar's for next year our 3rd annual "ski fest" will be the Sunday following Crystal's closing. ;D
Was a great time fo sure.  Thanx to Ron J and Mad_Dog for arranging it.  Was nice putting faces to all those creative poster names.  I can't wait to see some of the hundreds of pictures that were shot that day.  Till next time... ;D

My pics are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/pictures
(Please forgive the odd date stamp -- I was having a "bad battery" day  >:( )
I'm certain some of the other shutterbugs must have got some cool party pics.
I'm thinking we should have a contest for the coolest/funniest/most unique skifest photo to be the "real" photo for this thread.
If everyone with photos posted their "entry photo" on this thread (along with a link to the rest of their photos for our viewing pleasure) then maybe we could vote on the best one in the thread and and then take the others off before we got busted by Charles for exceeding the per thread photo limit  ;D

Who else got some photos out there?

As a matter of fact, my first nomination for the "feature photo" in this thread is Paul's shot of the Skoogs:

That's the great Lowell Skoog on the mound, with Ken Madden trying to coach Lowell on how to make the snowballs a little more durable under the relentless bat of the ferocious Tom Skoog.

Thanks again to Ron, Jeanette, and everyone else for the good time - I'm looking forward to next year.  

I've posted some of the better pics I took at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/135720477IwDrJa

The best, however, I think has to be this one of Kelvin:
http://home.comcast.net/~spavined/kelvin.jpg

See you in the hills.
-s

thanks to everyone. Brenda and I had a great time meeting new ski friends. We'll be looking forward to next year's celebration.

I had a great time yesterday and many thanks to Skip, philfort, Kelvin, zenom and Allyson for their help hauling the "special" cambelbak.  Also, thanks for emptying it too!

For next year I suggest that we all show up with a name tag that says:

TAY Login:    ______________

-kam

Great time! Thanks to Ron and Jeanette for putting it on, and those very special brew haulers 8) Love that shot of Kelvin, however I think the top photo has to be that of Skipper riding  the pony home ;D

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A564%3B523232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2329%3D%3B33%3D3%3A9%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3C%3B4%3A%3A8%3C8ot1lsi  
See the rest of mine at

Likewise, thanks y'all for the great time yesterday :)  
I think my vote for best "entry photo" so far has got to be Skip "riding the pony" downhill  ;)
Cheers!
-Cascadesfreak (a.k.a. "Chris")  ;)

For next year I suggest that we all show up with a name tag that says:

TAY Login:    ______________

-kam

It's funny you should metnion that, since I have some REALLY fun things I'm thinking about already for next year too, and one of them was the "name" issue.  It was quite hilarious, skinning up the hill, hearing someone behind you, you'd turn around to see how close they were and wondering who is that "masked man", then ask, you would exchange handles, smile, say ohhhhhhh, and then tell your real name, chat for a while, and continue on. Then while sitting in the lawnchairs watching in wonderment as the next person rose over the knoll, try guessing who the next likely suspect was.  :D

Yeah, the name thing does tend to clutter an already cluttered mind a bit more, doesn't it? Great solution, Kam!
And it would only be appropriate if the name tags were fashioned from duct tape - eh?  :D
I'll bring the duct tape and the magic marker next year... that is, provided my dementia plagued brain can remember that far ahead (or would that be behind? Behind ! wait - that reminds me... oh - never mind).

Chris - I'm gonna have to give ya the nod on the vote for the best photo so far.  The Skipper ridin' the Pony would get my vote too.  But it's early.
Surely there's more photos out there.  
C'mon, folks give 'em up; we got a contest to vote on, here, and we want to see your regular pics from the event, too!

It was nice to meet and get a few turns with you all. I would post a pic of GregL  in the chute on the king, but I can't seem to get it to work. so you can view it with the rest of my photos here
http://community.webshots.com/album/135896094xKQKph?979

Thanks, Stefan, next time I'll try not to forget my camera so I can reciprocate! Is this the one you wanted to post? Hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of PhotoShopping out your shadow . . . it was a pleasure making turns with you!

http://homepage.mac.com/mpobrien/silverking1_600.jpg

I enjoyed meeting all of you on Sunday. That was the greatest gathering of bc skiers I've seen since moving to Seattle. A big thanks to Ron and Kam, especially to Kam-next year I volunteer to haul the second camelback, and some more of those soon-to-be-famous footlong brats.

Oh yeah, Skip schussing the keg gets my vote.

I've been thinking of the photo contest, as to which is the "best".  Here we have our youngest member of the 2nd Annual CM Ski Fest, Tom Skoog 7 years of age, playing the all time, grown up, American sport of baseball with his father Lowell, how cool is that, baseball at the top of Forest Queen,  :D then we have Skip riding the pony home, which, as young kids, we all remember the thrill of that first sled ride, probably not on the wild pony though.  ;) Then we have the awsome shots of great skiers carving perfect turns, and new friends having fun.  8)  My personal favorite is the baseball photo, wait the sled ride, wait........  ???  ;D

With that said, let's get any other entering photos posted and get our votes in by Friday April 23 so we can clean up the TAY site and not have to have time out from Charles.   ;D

Looks like a great time and will have to put on the calendar for next year.  I didn't hear about the event until Friday night from Kenji and made other plans.  Maybe it could be posted on TAY in advance next year for those of us who may not hear about it otherwise?  Or maybe it was and I missed it....

Best picture??? That's a hard one. I am undecided between Skip on the Pony and Greg in the chute. Can't we just have two?

Paul, it was in planned trips about a week prior, see you next year 8)

It was great to meet everyone. Special thanks to Team Camelback Haulers not only the barley soup but those oozing chedder cheese dogs. I didn't even have one but I could just feel the love they had to offer. Sweet and tender with a little suprise inside.

I suggest that Ron you head up there this summer and place the duct tape and marker in the beer cache so then it's a no brainer. I'm sure you won't forget where you hid the beer!

I suggest that Ron you head up there this summer and place the duct tape and marker in the beer cache so then it's a no brainer. I'm sure you won't forget where you hid the beer!

By golly, that's a right pregnant idea, Stefan!!  8)
Might have to wait until fall though.  
(You being from the Rockies and all, you wouldn't know this  ;) but) in these parts a lot of us ski clear on through the summer and don't get much into [ski-tour recon] hiking in until late fall  :).
It was also great to meet you.  Hope to see you in the mountains, soon.

I am unfamiliar with this 'ski recon hike' business. There is no such thing as a ski recon, just a ski with a really long approach.  :) ;)

I noticed that the Random Tracks thread links to this thread but this thread doesn't link back. Here you go:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ha1;action=display;num=1082335542

Sorry to miss all the fun again this year. Now that this is a definite annual event, I will mark my calendar for next year's gathering so that I won't miss it. Ron et al, thanks for organizing it!

Ron, how about a little awards ceremony next year? Maybe a 6-pack or a box of Clif Bars per catagory, or a little trophy (just saw some for $.99 each at Crown Hill Value Village) . . . best TR, most epic tour, best action photo, best powder photo, etc.

Great Idea, Greg!!
Now to piggyback on your idea and come up with some implementation ideas without a bunch of work on anyone's part...
Seems like if we started a thread on Random tracks for each proposed catagory then the ones that got entries would be the ones we'd present at next year's SkiFest??
Awards could be a "surprise" bestowed by a volunteer on each thread??

Anyone care to jump in here??

I guess we pretty well wore out our welcome on the multiple pics on one thread, eh?
Didn't get a resounding majority to pick the one to keep, either.  So now I've painted myself into a corner and haven't got a clue as to which photo should survive, just that the "bombing site" one needs to go.

So Charles, how 'bout we have a [no photo limit] "Great Photos of TAY" thread?  Then we can move 3 of the 4 qualifiers over and then the folks on dial-ups can avoid that one unless they've got some extra time.

Whaddya think, Gang?

How about 3-5k thumbnails of all of them, linked to the full size versions if people want to see more detail? I'm not sure how to do this in the forum, but I typically do it in web pages to speed download time.

Reply to this TR

april-18-2004-2-annual-crystal-ski-fest
JMor
2004-04-19 02:37:29