Home > Trip Reports > Stevens Pass Slack-Country, 11/21/09

Stevens Pass Slack-Country, 11/21/09

11/15/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by JimD on 11/21/09 9:07am
OK snow, getting heavy as the day went on (not complaining for Nov!). More needed on south slopes - alder was challenging at the bottom of Heather Ridge (this was an easy spot).

Hey Jim,

Wondering how it would be up there today.  Got out to Baker instead.  Good to see the coverage.  We going to ride this season???

Scott

Nice pic as usual, Jim.

I thought that:
Frontcountry = lift sking
Sidecountry = open boundaries accessed from a lift, maybe including booting or skinning
Slackcountry = easily accessible backcountry, like Heather Ridge, Artist Point or Chinook
Backcountry = longer tours.

Discussion welcome.  Where is that darn TAY glossary when we want it???  ::)

Mac, I think yer right, slack-country would fit better so I'll change it.

I don't really know either, just guessing.  Proper terms for the next few days might be slushcountry or slabcountry!   
Mack

I usually think of slackcountry as lift-accessed backcountry.

author=philfort link=topic=14558.msg61031#msg61031 date=1259028768]
I usually think of slackcountry as lift-accessed backcountry.

Yep, it's purely semantics, but for me, sidecountry and slackcountry are virtually synonymous. I have a contextual sense that sidecountry involves some amount of hazard mitigation/trivial return to the lift.

Slack-country would be lift accessed if we go by Wikopedia's def.: "The term slacker is commonly used to refer to a person who avoids work (especially British English), or (primarily in North American English) an educated person who is viewed as an underachiever. Slackers, understood mostly as males in their twenties and thirties, may be regarded as belonging to an antimaterialistic counterculture, though in many cases their behavior may merely be due to apathy or laziness."

The skiing we were doing did involve work, the but we weren't very far back from the road, so I wouldn't quite call it real back-country.

Reply to this TR

stevens-pass-slack-country-11-21-09
JimD
2009-11-21 17:07:19