Home > Trip Reports > November 18, Hyak Silt Fence Fiesta

November 18, Hyak Silt Fence Fiesta

11/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Marcus on 11/19/09 12:57am
This was (sort of) a Cascade Backcountry Ski Patrol day, in so much as we spent the morning talking to the Cle Elum winter Rangers about the coming season and doing prep work for our annual patrol refresher in a couple of weeks.

But afterward, with sunny skies at the Pass, we took a quick lap up through the glop at Hyak.  24" or so on the ground, 4-6" of light and dry on top of a big bowl of soaking wet chowder.  For all that, it skied surprisingly well and Hopi got her first "puppy tour" of the season, which was really amusing to watch.

There are a couple of silt fences in place along the road grade that are *just* barely becoming buried at the moment.  Be very careful skiing here in the next few weeks, as the fence itself, or the metal fence posts that hold it up, could make for a bad day very quickly.
What kind of pup is that?

Right on, and thanks for the heads up about the fences!

She's an aussie shepherd/terrier/who-knows-what mix.  About 99.2% cute. :)

Those fences are buried as of 11 am thursday. I found out the hard way, but fortunately didn't find the metal poles.  Super heavy, but on a board it was pretty fun once you go moving, oddly smooth until you hit a fence.  :)

Marcus, if you need a dog sitter ever just holler.  Seriously. ;)

Heh -- thanks Scott.  She's an incredibly easy puppy to take care of...

Anyone know the rules with dogs up at the ski resorts? I took my pup up there last weekend and tried to stay out of sight. I know you can't bring dogs in the National Forests (like MRNP), but am unsure about other areas. Any idea?

I guess it's all legal 'til you get caught. LOL.

author=cjm720 link=topic=14530.msg60850#msg60850 date=1258751222]
Anyone know the rules with dogs up at the ski resorts? I took my pup up there last weekend and tried to stay out of sight. I know you can't bring dogs in the National Forests (like MRNP), but am unsure about other areas. Any idea?

I guess it's all legal 'til you get caught. LOL.

I thought dogs were only not allowed in National Parks. Isn't National Forest different?

National Parks (like MRNP and North Cascades) -- all NFS land is fine.  Not sure about ski resorts, but most are on NFS land.  More likely you'll get crap for skiing there at all, regardless of the pooch behind you. 

I am not positive, but one of the patrollers at Stevens Pass told me that you are not allowed to bring dogs into ski resorts as per permit agreements between the S.R.'s and the NFS. But I do know that they (patrollers) don't like it because it is dangerous and they interfere with the patrol dogs.

Reply to this TR

november-18-hyak-silt-fence-fiesta
Marcus
2009-11-19 08:57:37