Home > Trip Reports > Rock Mountain, 11-14-09

Rock Mountain, 11-14-09

11/15/09
Posted by jwplotz on 11/15/09 5:31pm
Saturday was good east of Stevens Pass.  Very good.  At least, from about 5,000' and higher.  Below that, coverage was thin.  Kyle (Flick) and I got a few core shots on the skinning from the car to about 5k.  We dubbed it "tipping point skinning" in which we would balance on top of a rock jutting out of the snow, then slowly bend forward to the other side.  Despite the schenanigans down low, the snow got really good up high to the top or Rock Mountain.  The basin was effortless powder skiing down to just above Rock Lake.  For both of us, we agreed it was a great start to the season.  We were both surprised that no one else bothered to check out the Rock.  I managed to set off a small appx. 6 inch slab, but overall the snow was fine.
Glad your fight through the low coverage was worth it!  The pics look like you even had good skys on your way down!

Nason Ridge gets no love from the masses, but that's a good thing.

Hey John, 
I was up at Steven's on Friday getting some nice turns, so am glad to see you and Kyle got out for some turns.
Nice coverage above 5K with some good lighter snow.
Great start to the season!

Hey Teresa! Great hearing you're getting out too.  Maybe a little less skate skiing and more b/c shredding this year?  ;)

Yep!  plan to do a whole lot of b/c skiing!
Let's get out soon........

Is that the 6" slab release in your first photo?  Looks to be southerly exposed terrain based on the shadows in the photos.

Yes that's it. I would say the bowl has a more easterly aspect than southern.

Either way, that thing ran for a distance.  Glad the rest of the snow was fine!

fantastic early season trip report from east of the crest!

Reply to this TR

rock-mountain-11-14-09
jwplotz
2009-11-16 01:31:58