Home > Trip Reports > April 11, 2004, Wa Pass, B-Day Tour

April 11, 2004, Wa Pass, B-Day Tour

4/11/04
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Paul_Russell on 4/15/04 2:48am
Monika Johnson and I skied Mt Baker via the Easton Gl on Sat (see her previous report) and then headed to Wa Pass on Sunday.  Thankfully, there are no snowmobilers or crevasses for them to fall into on the B-Day tour!  

On the drive Sunday morning, it appeared to me that the snow banks on Hwy 20 were very low for this time of year and may be an indication of an early melt for this spring.

We left the Blue Lake TH at 9:00am on a beautiful sunny Easter morning, finding the snow to be quite firm after a colder than expected night.  A boot path was well tracked up to the Blue Peak col with no problems getting around the cornice.  There were two other parties that we saw during the day on the route.

At about 11:30, we skied the S facing slope, Madison Ave, in great corn conditions with nice consistency nearly to the bottom -- may be the best skiing I've had on that run over several years.  We then toured to Cooper Pass and skied a similar aspect and conditions for about a 1000' run.  Toured back to the main basin and to the col on the climbers right that drops over to Kangaroo Pass (and basin).  Snow was remaining reasonably firm through the early afternoon despite the warming weather.  No sluffing or slides.  We also hooked up with another party of two doing the route for the first time and enjoyed meeting some new friends.

Getting over the col was pretty straightforward.  Nice, but more variable snow, skiing toward K-pass and down to the cars. Hitched a ride quickly, and enjoyed a few beers before heading home after a great day in the mountains.  4700vft for the day.

Had a great deal on Easter brunch at the Clarkes bunny farm on the drive back.

Reply to this TR

april-11-2004-wa-pass-b-day-tour
Paul_Russell
2004-04-15 09:48:31