Home > Trip Reports > November 11, Stevens, Alarm Clock Freshies!

November 11, Stevens, Alarm Clock Freshies!

11/15/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by GregLange on 11/11/09 5:39am
Arrived parking lot at 7 AM to meet Lord Hedgie and 2 newbies on snowshoes. Not much time for turns today, so hustled up Skyline cat tracks (yes, the resort is trying to open soon!), and up the Nancy Chute about midway. Was non-rudely awakened by mid-calf soft pow shots, and able to harvest off-and-on until the lodge! Home in time for mid-morning snacks!! Hurry and you can still get it before the crowds do!!
I agree, great skiing this morning,  Two feet of soft powder in places.  But by the time we returned to the car (around 10), most of the good stuff had been mucked up by cats, and there were a couple dozen folks starting to skin up.  They didn't get the good turns we did; I know that.

I beg to differ Lord, Shred and I were up there all day and found good snow for most runs (backside of Cowboy not good where the sun had crusted the south slopes a couple days ago), the best being our last down Wildcats. TR here.

Likewise, Debbie, Brett, & I were up there all day.  Mostly backside.  Nice snow.  All day.  Great to be out.  As we were headed out we took a quick shuffle up the cat-groomed mayhem to hogsback and got a good look at Wildcats on our way down.  We couldn't believe how full and covered it looked.  We were wishing we had made our return from the backside via Wildcats rather than Roller Coaster / Crest Trail.  Oh well, perhaps next time.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the traffic comment.

-Dave R

The backside did hold some good turns. Skiers Left of the chair above big chief has some filling in to do, it was fun and skiable but there are many christmas tree heads sticking up.

11-12-09: On skin up to top of Big Chief, saw some impressive surface hoar crystals @ 5400ft, S to SE aspect.  Could be a problem (w/l) on simular aspects after this Friday & weekend snow dump we're expecting.

Otherwise the snow seems to be holdin up better than expected, found decent powder stashes esp in shaded areas.  Despite spotty coverage on some of steeper front-side terrain, ski bases suffered no rock shots... nice Nov powder all afternoon :)

Great shot of the surface hoar.  Good to know it is out there for the weekends trips!

Thanks for the info!

Reply to this TR

november-11-stevens-alarm-clock-freshies
GregLange
2009-11-11 13:39:55