Home > Trip Reports > Nov 7-8, 2009, Peak 8700, Duffey Lake Area, BC

Nov 7-8, 2009, Peak 8700, Duffey Lake Area, BC

11/7/09
Canada BC
Posted by ema on 11/9/09 1:09pm
Stacy and I hit up a reconnaissance mission to Peak 8700' and the surrounding basins. Spent two days camping, sledding, skiing, and exploring. Didn't get the "nipple deep" reported in some Cascadian posts, but satisfying in it's own way. Took sleds up FSR's and skinned each day from 5700' and ended up at 8700' (the high point of the two days). Snowdepth ranged from 10-36" with lots of windscour to the bare ground. When ascending a minor chute (approx. 8000')a loud settling whump was heard. Dug in to see sugar snow at the ground in areas. All snow above the ground seemed well bonded. But, perhaps, not well bonded to the earth? The only other activity observed was a natural cornice failure on day two. Winds gusting cold and hard along the summit ridge. Rock ski's were a must..A winter of exploration is on the doorstep!
it really was nipple deep. looks like you had a killer outing! nice!

Nipple deep isn't a very good quantitative description: picture a short woman with big boobs who telemarks. 

Kind of like how they say it's possible to drown in just a few cm of water!

Toby, you forgot to mention the unfinished business?

author=samoon link=topic=14400.msg60347#msg60347 date=1257914234]

Those are tough aspects to ski fwiw.  Approach is a bit adventurous too.  But not to say it wouldn't be fun to try

author=samoon link=topic=14400.msg60347#msg60347 date=1257914234]

Before I saw the photo, I thought that unfinished business was Toby trying some great IPAs while in B.C.. Another good one to add to the list would be from Surrey's Central Brewing (just across the border) called Red Racer IPA, available in most government stores, at a great price I may add.

Stacy, there was so much unfinished business around, but that definitely seems to be the grand prize of the local area.
Telemon, I thought of you when at the beer store in Pemberton! I asked the clerk if he had any good hoppy beers. He said "no, but I wish we did. I'm going to try to get some in here soon". He then took note of my request for Tree Brewing's Hop Head!! I said to myself, "that Telemon is full of s**t!!!! Just kidding...Previously, back in Bellingham, I browsed isles of good hoppy beer and chose a Bridgeport selection and a Boundary Bay. Good thing I did, because we had to augment our beer stash with Tree Brewing's Cutthroat Ale. Wasn't bad, but wasn't great. I'll look out for the Surrey Red Racer.
Lee, thanks for your input, hopefully the stars will align. Got Nraiteskel?

author=skykilo link=topic=14400.msg60346#msg60346 date=1257911187]
Nipple deep isn't a very good quantitative description: picture a short woman with big boobs who telemarks. 

Almost the same as a Hummel last Sunday at Crystal

You mean this peak? Looks interesting... just a long way to get there.

Reply to this TR

nov-7-8-2009-peak-8700-duffey-lake-area-bc
ema
2009-11-09 21:09:52