Home > Trip Reports > Nov 9, Hyak - it counts right?

Nov 9, Hyak - it counts right?

11/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by hyak_erik on 11/9/09 6:21am
Since Hyak isn't going to be lift served this season, I say my trip counts!  :-)

It snowed fairly constantly from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning.  Near the water tower, the base was about 8" and that was enough to cover the non-brushy areas... namely the FS road.  So me and the dogs strolled our way up the road to the union station area. 

The way back down the road gave about 20 turns and only 1 slight rock hit.  Not even close to epic, but I am counting it for my season start!

Some Hyak beta:
For those of you who will be earning their turns on Hyak this season, be aware of the fencing set up near the landslide start zone and the road switch back on the main slope.  The fencing is oriented across the fall line and will certainly catch some early season folks by surprise.

Also a new stub road was cut to the bottom of the start zone.  The hole itself was beveled out so it is no longer a sharp drop off.
It definitely counts!

Certainly no worse than my first trip of the season the year I lived in St Louis...gotta keep the right perspective.

Thanks for the heads-up on the fence and the other obstacles.

Good thing you went when you did, the road was plowed to the top today.

Yahoo for Hyak!  Nice TR, was skinning and took a few runs at West yesterday, was planning to check out Hyak and the upper nordic trails tomorrow-so thanks for the beta.

Skis on the feet--check.....sliding on snow--check....bonus for a few turns.  Some people ski all the time without much turning, it's called ski touring (warning, it will make one closer to the mountain, though have less opportunity to talk about things that are "epic", "Gnarly (gnarls, gnar-gnar)", "savage", etc.).  I can't see any reason why your day wouldn't count, there was snow on the ground and you got to go skiing!

author=gravitymk link=topic=14395.msg60265#msg60265 date=1257815140]
Good thing you went when you did, the road was plowed to the top today.

Really?  I have never seen that road get plowed before.  I wonder what is up with that...

Most likely because it's still early compared to most seasons and because the area was performing some work at the top of Hyak. As of recent, they had a track hoe at the top of dinosaur that need to be brought down.

Reply to this TR

nov-9-hyak-it-counts-right
hyak_erik
2009-11-09 14:21:40