Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2004, Red Lake Peak,Carson Pass,CA

April 10, 2004, Red Lake Peak,Carson Pass,CA

4/10/04
Posted by Zap on 4/12/04 7:53pm
Carson Pass as been on the list for awhile and it seemed to be the perfect day with spring conditions.  There are two Sno Parks at Carson and this tour starts at the one located on the north side at about 8500 feet.  As we drove along the highway there were skiers hitching a ride from Red Lake back up to the sno parks.  The masses were parked at the south sno park but I was determined to ski Red Lake Peak.  Once you gain some elevation you can see the objective in the distance.  Most of the tour is on south aspects so there were a couple of rock portages enroute.  Looking across the road to the south, it was obvious why everyone was at the sno park on the south side - great snow coverage.  The tour options across the road were impressive - the Elephants Back,Winnemucca Lake, Roundtop and a doable couloir that ached for a testosterone attack. OK, back to reality.  We meanered thru the rock fields, across corn snow, up the face to Red Lake Peak at 10,000 feet. The significance of this summit is twofold: this is the location that John Fremont first crossed the Sierra Nevada in February 1844 and first sighted Lake Tahoe.  The more important reason to climb this peak is you climb about 1500 feet to the 10,000 foot summit then ski the opposite side 2600 feet to the highway and hitch back to the Pass.  Well, we started this tour a bit late,so by the time we reached the summit the northeast exposure descent was very firm.   The wind was howling on the ridge but I was certain it would be soft as we descended - wrong.  The notheast bowl is enormous and a couple of weeks ago it was probably great.  We descended about 600 feet to the entrance to the couloir that drops to Crater Lake.  Needless to say, it was still  icy and the catch basin was not friendly.  Jill and I agreed we really want to see the grandkids ago, especially because I'm training one of them for sherpa duties.  Pack the skis and kick steps back to a ridge for the return trip via the approach.  Back on the south exposure  and corn skiing to the camper plus a couple of rock portages.  This bit of adventure calls for a trip to Grover Hot Springs and a cold one.

Zap
Your TR brings back the memories of my pre-Californicating Oreghan existence.  Carson Pass is a beautiful area. Kudos on a great tour!

Gaper Jeffeyyyyyyyy

And it brings back memories of some of my earliest tours on my old wooden skis with my parents.  Grover's only had a single pool back in the 70s, and it was gravel bottomed!

Reply to this TR

april-10-2004-red-lake-peak-carson-pass-ca
Zap
2004-04-13 02:53:53