Home > Trip Reports > Nov 6, Heliotrope

Nov 6, Heliotrope

11/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by chmnyboy on 11/6/09 10:45am
I was fortunate enough to get out of work and join Skier8484 and Scotteryx to test the new snow up on heliotrope. We needed 4 wheel drive to ascend the final 500' vertical to the trailhead, where we arrived at about 7:30 or 8. The hike up was uneventful, and we started skinning at treeline, where the wind started picking up. Visibility was enough to get great views of the bright glacial blue lower coleman, although by the time we got up to the glacial ice on heliotrope, the light was too flat to see any features in the snow. For that reason we opted not to ascend the 'glacier' to the pinnacle, instead taking advantage of the perspective provided by the rocky chutes below 6700'. We took shelter in a shallow crevasse to transition and have lunch, then proceeded to lap the boot deep powder in the 400' long chute. After we had our fill we were able to keep the skis on down to treeline (5200').

Although there was strong wind and low visibility, the weather wasn't at all unpleasant. Regardless, the snow quality was more than worth it. Unfortunately, the conditions weren't conducive for pictures. As Scott put it, it'd be just as good to post a microsoft paint picture of a white background. Definitely worth a round 2.
Any data or estimations on how much new snow has follow as of x:xx time?

How windy? Any signs of windloading? Snow depth? Just curious, trying to keep track of what happens before I make it up there Sunday.

I stayed the night up there last night and had to turn around @ 3k because of snow. Parked down @ 2500 and waited for Brian and Tyler the next morning

The TH had a few inches, and more snow piled up as we trudged up the trail @ 8 a.m.. A couple more feet and car to car might be possible. It was pretty windy, and bitterly cold. It's rare I hike up with a beanie, goggles, hood, long underwear and shells on. Made it to our highpoint @ 6700' by 10 a.m.

The flat light made turns difficult, especially since they were close to 1st turns of the season. Our 2nd and 3rd lap were more fun since we knew the terrain by braille at that point.

The lower sectio of the ridge had some great snow, with some treelimbs and death cookies thrown in to keep things interesting. We milked it for as long as we could down to 5260'.

Thanks for the trip Tyler & Brian. And yes, my new helmet cam captured my double ejection on the windlip.
Put your boots in walk mode....

Just realized today is only November 6th. Where did you guys tour tomorrow? lol

Must be us Canadians, a simple daylight savings time discrepancy across the border.

author=scotteryx link=topic=14363.msg60151#msg60151 date=1257573772]

Thanks for the trip Tyler & Brian. And yes, my new helmet cam captured my double ejection on the windlip.
Put your boots in walk mode....

sneaky wind drifts...provided a good show for the rest of us. and someday i will own boots with a walk mode!

author=splitboarder link=topic=14363.msg60152#msg60152 date=1257574138]
Just realized today is only November 6th. Where did you guys tour tomorrow? lol

Must be us Canadians, a simple daylight savings time discrepancy across the border.

hmm, might have hit the sauce a little too early today.

Video uploaded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMWdOHdHMVU

Sweet video.  That was an awesome early season day for sure.  Nice to get up there before the access is blocked by snow too.

Reply to this TR

nov-6-heliotrope
chmnyboy
2009-11-06 18:45:29