Home > Trip Reports > November 1, 2009, Wesach

November 1, 2009, Wesach

11/1/09
Posted by NWBCer on 11/2/09 5:44am
Numerous days of 3 to 5 degrees C (just above freezing) rain in town, and constant pleading by Z-rip prompted a full truck to head up the South Douglas logging road. Chains were used for the last 4km of the road, and skins were put on right at the truck @ about 3500'. Conditions were perfect for travel (the previous dump had been rained on creating a base), and the veritable plethora of young blood ahead of me created a highway. The snow kept up most of the day with vis varying from nothing to 500m horiz, the ceiling varying from nothing to 500'. Continued snow and signs of recent size 2's, provided incentive to ski more conservative lines today and we topped out at about 6000' skiing a line named by Guido - "Girlfriend's" Bowl. Top 500' yielded hero boot top pow, though most turns were by braille. Next 1000 were variable (mainly 6" of fresh over breakable crust) lack of definition made turns a bit challenging though not character building. The bottom 1000 was very nice skiing on a few inches of fresh over a consolidated base. Skiing next to the avi debris gave some definition, though one did have to keep the turns light due to the presence of talus not too far below the bases.

A great start to pow season, and a big crowd (6 skiers at Wesach in one day is huge numbers). Claggy vis precluded taking any photos of skiing, but I took a group photo before we set out.
Very nice Gary. ;D
You're skiing pow and we're bending ski crampons on hard ice! The Great North delivers. ;D

heeeeyyyy... wait a minute Scotsman - it's 3:30pm my time, and I'm sure you're in the same time zone these days.... Uhmm shouldn't someone be WORKING... yikes, some partners  ::)
Almost as surprising is that an hour after posting, about 70 people have viewed the post.
I LOVE YOU TAYERS! It's true, on TGR it takes at least 4 or 5 hours before that many would read the post and another couple of hours before someone would respond that 2500 is lame, they slept with my mom, skiing north of the 49th sucks, and that people like me should take up curling  :'(
Yep, another good start up here Scotty!

author=NWBCer link=topic=14342.msg60033#msg60033 date=1257205731]
heeeeyyyy... wait a minute Scotsman - it's 3:30pm my time, and I'm sure you're in the same time zone these days.... Uhmm shouldn't someone be WORKING... yikes, some partners  ::)
Almost as surprising is that an hour after posting, about 70 people have viewed the post.
I LOVE YOU TAYERS! It's true, on TGR it takes at least 4 or 5 hours before that many would read the post and another couple of hours before someone would respond that 2500 is lame, they slept with my mom, skiing north of the 49th sucks, and that people like me should take up curling  :'(
Yep, another good start up here Scotty!

I am working Gary, keping track of whos skiing what , when and how is nearly a ful time job! ;D
I hear you about TGR although every now and again there's a jewel mixed in with the dross.
And there's nothing wrong with curling OK. I used to play it and was quite a dab hand  at sweeping the brush in front of the stones. ;D

hehehe glad you're on top of it.
Hurry! hard!

ok, for some TGR spice...

WTF is with Mr. back country casual in the photo?

It's like 4 hardcore guys in arcteryx and one guy ready to play some outdoor gyn rummy or something...

Just kiddin, he does look kinda snazzy though. Must be the hat.

author=alecapone link=topic=14342.msg60051#msg60051 date=1257233424]
ok, for some TGR spice...

WTF is with Mr. back country casual in the photo?

It's like 4 hardcore guys in arcteryx and one guy ready to play some outdoor gyn rummy or something...

Just kiddin, he does look kinda snazzy though. Must be the hat.

You sir, have just met Phillipe - ice climber, solo mountaineer extraordinaire, telemark hack. And you can rest assured, sir, that he was well-razzed when he decided to wear his downtown Montreal pimp daddy gear to a day of powder ski touring. Kid not alecapone, les francais take their fashion verrrry serious-like.

HA!!... That explains everything. Although I'd be more comfortalbe solo ice tele mountaineering then touring in that kind of style.

author=NWBCer link=topic=14342.msg60053#msg60053 date=1257238494]
Phillipe - ice climber, solo mountaineer extraordinaire, telemark hack, downtown Montreal pimp daddy, les francais...

Nice pix and conditions! Would it be too much to ask if you'd wish a little our way?

Where exactly is South Douglas Road? I grew up in Juneau, where Douglas Island is just across the bridge. Any relationship?...

GregLange: South Douglas logging road is about 70km N of Terrace, BC on the Nisga'a Highway. You hang a right just before Wesach Creek, then drive up a logging road almost 20km (be an easterly direction I reckon). If you googled Wesach Mountain, or Rosswood you'd likely see the area. Not related to your Douglas Island IMO, although the farthest reach of the Douglas Channel is up our way at Kitimat, about 60km South of Terrace. That Douglas may be related to your Douglas.
It's peeing out there right now at 3 degrees C so more snow going on not to far off the deck, suppose you could have a little....

alecapone - you can take the french dude out of montreal, but you cannah take the montreal out of the french dude. your decision is wise, few can pull it off.

Thx for the Beta. I suppose since Terrace is just up the road from YPR, it's just a short ferry ride to Juneau. However, Eaglecrest ski area never looked as good as what your rippin'!

Never skied Eaglecrest. But I bet their snowpack is similar (northern, maritime), or is it? Also bet they've got lots more lift serviced vert than our little playground (Shames). I've heard pretty good things about that Alaskan hill. Terrace/Shames is about 140km east of Rupert, 1600 vert lift serviced. about 3500 non lift serviced  :D

Reply to this TR

november-1-2009-wesach
NWBCer
2009-11-02 13:44:16