Home > Trip Reports > October 24, 2009, Muir Snowfield

October 24, 2009, Muir Snowfield

10/24/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Merk on 10/24/09 12:25pm
CJ, Andy, and myself headed up for Muir today for some October turns.  We were pleased to arrive at Paradise with a snow flurry which left a nice coating of white stuff at the parking lot.  We were on the trail at 9am and there were quite a few others with skis on their packs heading up.  We were able to put skins on just above Pebble Creek, and skinned continuously up to our high point of 9200'.  Skinning was all in all pretty good, with the exception of a sheet of bombproof ice starting at around 8200'.  The ice was widespread with some areas of dust covered ice which was good skinning, but ski crampons were definately a good thing to have today.

We began the descent around 1:30pm and the turns were pretty fun, but loud.  The ice was holding the edges enough to make for some enjoyable turns and as we went down, the ice turned from bomb-proof, to bullet-proof, then bb-proof, and finally a softening section was waiting at about 7700'.  We had to pick our way through the narrow sections between snowfields, but able to leave the skis on the whole time.

It was a great day to be had by all, and of special note, today marked CJ's 3rd year of tay, and my 4th year.

Here's the pics http://picasaweb.google.com/merkleyb/OctoberTurns09#
I was up there today on "late shift" not starting from lot til almost 1PM (wasn't going to go today but family plans got canceled so I scrambled a ski trip).

Normally I'm a fan of the late start and find ways to justify it (but of course the real reason is I am usually lazy). Today however I paid for the late start because in the afternoon the cloud deck was rising just as fast as I was. The majority of skiers who started earlier got their run in the sun, but I had to put up with fog. Oh well. Slight spitting snow too.

Best snow was the Pebble Creek snowfield, which had softened more granularly. While the snow up higher was icy, it was remarkably smooth ice (no chickenheads or weird surface) , so still fairly entertaining and not threatening to ski.

Nice Pics!!

Way to get some!  You passed us on the way up! It sure was icy just below Muir and without crampons it would have been close to impossible.

We spent the night at Paradise before heading up and as I feared that howling wind blew off whatever snow cover existed above.  I was surprised to see the parking lot full of cars on the way back!

Runcle

I took a visiting Swiss friend of mine up on Sunday the 25th to celebrate my 12th year of turns-all-year. We experienced a beautiful sunrise, and then the ceiling fell quickly. By the time we hit the Muir, snow level had gome from summit to 9k. We experienced the same bulletproof, except no thawing today. I had ski crampons, but Dan did not, so we turned around at 9100. Fairly nice but delicate skiing to 7295 ft., with a cheese sandwich at the snout to celebrate. As Jerry said, "What a long strange trip it's been", but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Also worked the early shift on the snowfield this Saturday. Left Mill Creek PNR @ 530 am and then left the Paradise lot @ 8:15 a.m. Only 2 other cars in the lot when I left. Snow covered the lot, so I had no idea where to park, but funny when I returned to see how everyone just parked around the cars that parked wrong.

Started to skin after Pebble Creek on boiler plate snow. Must have rained and froze the night before, then a small amount fo snow fell that moring, or it all goot blown away. I could not find any pockets of powder anywhere on the snowfield. I was happy that I brought my ski crampons, since Muir is the one place I NEVER forget to bring them. THey worked quite awesome.  There were about 4 other skiers behind me but all of them had to boot up on the rocks since it was just too icy.

At 9100', I decided to call it since the ski crampons were bending, and that is always a good sign that the ski down below Muir might not be too enjoyable. Talked with another skier named Brandon, and we decided to ski down together just in case someone fell and slid off onto the Nisqually or Paradise Glacier.

1st turns were hard to get used too, and I only brought my rock skis (Nuunyo's), so it took a good amount fo power to carve into the snow/ice.

Once at 8500', the skiing was quite nice and the snowfield just above Pebble Creek was a ton of fun. Luckily, all of our turns were in the sun :-)

I also decided to make a few turns on the low snowfield below Pan Point as well. Back at the car by 2 and then sat on Paradise road waiting for the road construction for about 15 minutes.

Photos here: http://climbwashington.com/reports/muirRainier102409.asp

Fun trip and great company! The turns were fast and smooth...it always makes a better trip when the skiing is much better than expected.  I used splitboard crampons for the first time and they could quite possibly be the best investment in gear I've made in a years.

Congrats to Merk on 4 and to GregLange on 12...that's quite impressive!

Cheers!

author=scotteryx link=topic=14264.msg59675#msg59675 date=1256533743]
Snow covered the lot, so I had no idea where to park, but funny when I returned to see how everyone just parked around the cars that parked wrong.

I laughed too when we got back to the parking lot and saw the row of cars totally out of whack!  I guess we could've been further off than we were.

author=Merk link=topic=14264.msg59691#msg59691 date=1256575759]
I laughed too when we got back to the parking lot and saw the row of cars totally out of whack!  I guess we could've been further off than we were.

We WERE further off..  we got back to the parking lot around 4pm and found my car in the absolute middle of an aisle and the following neatly printed note on my windshield:  "nice parking, douchebag"

We laughed the whole way home.  What a great day!  The Pebble Creek snowfield and area above it to the left (ascending) was like our own private, perfectly groomed GS training run!   We'll call it "Fragile Meadow".

author=Mr_Burns link=topic=14264.msg59708#msg59708 date=1256586496]
"nice parking, douchebag"

Has anyone over at TGR posted a Muir TR?

So much for parking - there was plenty of room for everyone yesterday, even with douchebags parked every which way in the lot. Does anyone know the story behind these crazy ice crystals?

Several inches high, and supporting pebbles and dirt, seem to have formed overnight on Saturday?

They're called needle-ice. Here is a link to an explanation of its formation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=UHRU_6nUSR4C&pg=PA709

[edit to shorten url. tks amar]

author=PNWBrit link=topic=14264.msg59715#msg59715 date=1256587722]
Has anyone over at TGR posted a Muir TR?

Is  the use of "douchebag "now officialy allowed by TAY?
I thought it was still on the "12 things" you can't say on TV, Radio or TAY.
I'm just trying to keep up with the offical TAY PC list, you know I'm a stickler for the rules .

I've always  kinda liked "douchebag"  as a derogative so I'm happy its allowed now.

The needle ice was all over the Paradise area Sunday - it started just a few hundred vf above the parking lot, and went up as high as I did.

Reply to this TR

october-24-2009-muir-snowfield
Merk
2009-10-24 19:25:02