Home > Trip Reports > Oct22_2009, Muir Solitude and Fine Turns

Oct22_2009, Muir Solitude and Fine Turns

10/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Waddle0620 on 10/22/09 12:04pm
6th time to Muir in the last 12-months, but this was a first.  I didn't see a single soul above 6,000 ft the entire day.  It was eerie, when you take into consideration the beautiful day and ZERO wind.  I felt like I was in a vacuum!

Onto the turns:  Left Paradise at 6:50 am after leaving Yakima at 4:45.  Began in the dark with temp at 30.  Snow started just began Pan Point.  1" new at 6500.  Started skinning at Pebble Creek (7,200) on very firm windswept snow, no breakable, occasional ice.

Found plenty of wind deposited powder all the way up, with plenty of new snow above 8,000ft. 

22 degrees at Muir and absolute silence.  With four kids at home under 7, this was golden.

Snow on the way down was firm, windswept, but very nice.  Was as if a groomer hit the whole snowfield.  Ice deposits were obvious, so I just skied around them and stayed in about 3-4" of fresh dry powder on top of the foot of new snow that was deposited last week.

Overall.....fantastic for October.

Crevasses on Muir are all filled in.  Felt very stable and safe.

http://picasaweb.google.com/drew0620/20091022IphoneOct2009AndMuir#

Good news. Maybe I'll get my October turns in after all and save my streak.
Think I'll try and head up Sunday if weather ain't too bad.
Thanks for the update and motivation. 

author=drew0620 link=topic=14251.msg59599#msg59599 date=1256267052]
  With four kids at home under 7, this was golden.

Good job! You deserve a medal for pulling that off.
Thanks for the report!

More proof, "go with the initial plan"... wow, had this day slated for turns, but bagged on account of letting other priorities take precedence.
Way to go! You certainly deserved it.

Thanks for the uplifting report drew!  Glad you had the Mountain to yourself.

Thanks Everyone!

Nice!

Spencer and I had a similar experience the previous Sunday! Not solo but super quiet and sobering. It was my first time up too. Sounds like the snow conditions were a little better for you. I'm looking forward to the day when the Nisqually chutes have some powder.

I'm curious.... are the N chutes notorious for avy danger mid winter compared to other slopes in the area?

-LR

Nice work at the solo-trek!  It was quite windy here in Tacoma all day yesterday.  I guess that stuff wasn't hitting Muir, huh?

Reply to this TR

oct22-2009-muir-solitude-and-fine-turns
Waddle0620
2009-10-22 19:04:12