Home > Trip Reports > Heliotrope 10/18

Heliotrope 10/18

10/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by James Wells on 10/19/09 2:05am
Thinking (hoping) there was a weather window despite continued massive downpours, Telemack, Mosetick and Climberdave came up Saturday night.  Mosetick fixed a problem with his bindings with a hammer and chisel while Telemack bouldered on the almost-dry outdoor wall under the deck.  At Oktoberfest next door, we watched the last 10 seconds of the UW game, which I guess was the only part of it that you needed to see.

Sunday morning we theorized that as much rain as had fallen, it must all be gone and there would not be much left to fall.  Telemon met us at trailhead and reported that Mangerk had already set out.  We headed up in a light rain and found that if there had been any new below the permanent snowfield, it was gone now.  The new was from 4" to 8", pretty heavy, enough to cover the ice and make for heavy turns but better than chattering on the ice.  I had ski crampons for the first time ever, they were perfect for these conditions, I was very glad to have them.

On the second lap we met tele-er Monty and his dog Lilly who appeared to be enjoying the "mist" as well.

If any pix came out worth anything, I guess Mosetick or Telemon will post them.
A BIG thank you is in order for the gentlemen who assisted me with my binding "problem."  Also, apologies for the sketchy audio/video on the slide show I hyped up.  I'm sending out links to a proper version.  Despite the rain, it was great to get out with everyone and nice to meet Climberdave for the first time too!  A couple photos to follow...

I was about to post my trip report when I noticed that Travertine had beat me to it, so I'll just add my bit on.

With the prospect of a drying trend after a deposit of new snow, I had decided to join forces with Travertine's crew. There were encouraging signs as we left the trail head; however, we had a mostly moist day on the Ridge and on the return trip down to the car. Along the way we briefly linked up with Kyle and Monty. There was also a trio of young snowboarders ahead of us who rather unwisely chose to travel down through the crevasse field rather than sticking to the ridge line (One evidently fell in). I could follow the "party line" and insist that any day skiing is a great day, but I couldn't really recommend Heliotrope Ridge at this time.

Not a day for spectacular photos, but here is my slideshow (with captions) http://picasaweb.google.com/telemon.bob/HeliotropeRidge#  I tried to brighten up my subjects with the flash but all that did was highlight the moisture in the air.

author=mosetick link=topic=14227.msg59506#msg59506 date=1255975172]
A couple photos to follow...

Let me know when you have them ready and I will delete my full sized photos.

Bob

Really fun day, despite the "Smile, youre developing hypothermia" conditions.  It rained so much that even the glacier ice was soft enough to carve on.  Best snow was from about 6900-6300'. 

Travertine's basement made for a great skiers' bunkhouse!  Thanks for inviting us all up, and buena suerte on your caving adventure.

I'm ready for a few tours that don't start with hours of boots on the back.

Great trip and more photo's here:

http://gallery.me.com/climberdave#100386

Thanks Guys! I'm so glad your dog is with you, good times.  I am almost certain that after last winter my 15 year old Newfoundland/Golden is no longer going to make it out of the car let alone up the side of a volcano!

We actually met the dog Lilly (and her human Monty) totally at random on this trip.  Great dog, super friendly and was totally in the spirit of the adventure.  My dogs are all older and they can't make it to Heliotrope (and back).  I have taken them around Heather Meadows and what I have found is that whether they have fun is pretty sensitive to what the snow is like.  Once I took them out there and there was a crust they were falling through, no fun and we all had to bail (I was fine, they were floundering).  With either new powder or good firm snow, they have a blast.

I once had a dog for 15 years.  We covered 8000 miles together on foot (he did many more miles counting the big silly dog circles, the 8000 was me).  With a multiplier of about 3 to 1, I think he probably got around the world once.

Here are the photos I took: http://www.the808.net/gallery/October-2009

Looks can be deceiving... Full Size

Such great vis!! Full Size

author=climberdave link=topic=14227.msg59520#msg59520 date=1255993294]
Great trip ...

Looking at the photos, I am reminded of Gary Snyders description of the Beats as " infused with irrational exhuberance".

We need snow!

author=tim_place link=topic=14227.msg59586#msg59586 date=1256235632]
Looking at the photos, I am reminded of Gary Snyders description of the Beats as " infused with irrational exhuberance".

We need snow!

A skiing acquaintance thought that the outing looked like "a sublime waste of time!" I am not sure if I agree with that statement, but I do concur with the sentiment that we need snow.

Reply to this TR

heliotrope-10-18
James Wells
2009-10-19 09:05:50