Home > Trip Reports > Sierra's, Mammoth

Sierra's, Mammoth

10/15/09
US elsewhere
Posted by all mtn on 10/9/09 8:02am
- was able to squeak out some unexpected turns from the storm, earlier in the wk. it snowed 6 - 10 " and settled to 4 ", down below, where the slopes aren't rocky. the snow was definite corn and I was able to squeak out 15 turns, times 2 (of course). I got turns at Shasta in Aug. and now this - only missed Sept. The "inside slider" storms come down the east side of the Sierra, and was peculiar in that it only hit N - NW facing mountains.
Dude, looks like you might have a 4 foot base on Thursday above 9,000' Enjoy the East side if you do!! I'll be jealous...

yaa, hey there - I know there is somethin' out there. I'm starting to look at the forecast. Last year, Mammoth got 3 - 5 ' the first wk. of Nov. That opened it up.
      it's kinda hard to believe it could get slammed in Oct. I have skied all months there, just not in a row. Oct. openings are pretty rare, but they do happen.
      believe it or not, Boreal on I 80, (Truckee) was able to open Fri.

Hi, yeah, I wasn't really referring to ski areas. But Mammoth may get enough due to elevation. I was referring to the 13 14'000 foot peaks in the Sierra and generally the high Sierra on the East side... Boreal (aka boring hill) will probably close their ribbon of death after the rain event. We'll see...

you think the Sierras are a better bet than Shasta for the coming storm? Im thinking of heading that way (Shasta) thurs, but Sierras are an option to. Having never been there, do either of you have any recommendations?

Not a weather expert, but if I had my pick I'd give Mammoth a shot. The town is at 8k and you can get above 9k (predicted snowline) pretty fast. Plus the terrain is less open overall than Shasta is above 9k, which might give more options for staying in the best spots with the best accumulation, clean ground cover, etc..

Or maybe spots with the least avy hazzard. In October. That would be a high class problem...

Maybe you've seen this:

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=rev&wwa=special%20weather%20statement

Mammoth crest is super accessible and you probably can find friends at the TH.

Tell us how it goes! I had a fantastic day skiing off the top of Mammoth in late October a couple years back. It was pretty unbelievable for October, but this does happen.

mammoth says FREE lift tickets for Friday. i will be on business in san fran sun-thur but there are no flights to mammoth lakes available! blasted!

hope you cats can make it for a free lift serviced turns for a change. god it will be nice to bump a chair again!

off to build my splitter... cheers!

Reply to this TR

sierra-s-mammoth
all mtn
2009-10-09 15:02:48