Home > Trip Reports > October 4, 2009, - Heliotrope Ridge

October 4, 2009, - Heliotrope Ridge

10/4/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Gary_H on 10/6/09 12:27pm
My son Brian, our friend Tyler and I skied Heliotrope Ridge on Sunday. It was a special day for me because it was Brian's the first backcountry ski trip. Hopefully he will be a regular partner. It was a beautiful day, although windy. There were about a dozen other people on the mountain (and a couple of dogs). It was well worth the trip from Port Angeles.

Here's a link to a few of our pictures;  http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20091004MtBakerHeliotropeRidge#

Gary
(Jan was in sunny California)

Nice job!  A new candidate for father of the year, and son of the year!  Good looking form on those turns. 

Looks like Heliotrope is the place to be for October...Let's go, fellow lemmings!

Glad to hear you had a good time Sunday Gary!

I was up there Friday, and it was definitely nice to be in fresh snow.  Can't wait for actual winter.

That is a long drive for you Gary.  Glad it panned out.
Brian's first BC ski trip?  Seems a little overdue.  I look forward to meeting him on the hill.  I hope that he has Jan's gift for trail breaking.  ;D

Great photos. Dana, Abe and I were there late sunday, and more then likely past you guys coming down on our way up.

Here are some of our photos from the day.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112394&id=583488359&l=16641f7161

-Lee

Nice work! We must've just missed you. Nice to see ya gettin' the youngin' out. I don't see enough of that. A nice day, eh. BTW, nice pictures. Hopefully see you guys out there in the future.

My Heliotrope Pics.

that's FABULOUS!

great work early in year.  ;D

author=Snow Bell link=topic=14151.msg59254#msg59254 date=1254937497]
That is a long drive for you Gary.  Glad it panned out.
Brian's first BC ski trip?  Seems a little overdue.  I look forward to meeting him on the hill.  I hope that he has Jan's gift for trail breaking.  ;D

Brian is going to the UW and this year has his own apartment, so we have a place to stay. It makes trips to the Cascades more practical. We have been encouraging him to join us in the backcountry, looks like we have a new partner. If this trip was any indication, looks like he has a pretty good motor!

author=d-bledsoe link=topic=14151.msg59261#msg59261 date=1254950920]
Great photos. Dana, Abe and I were there late sunday, and more then likely past you guys coming down on our way up.

-Lee

We did pass you as you on the trail, you must have made good time both up and down the hill. Nice pictures.

author=Jason_H. link=topic=14151.msg59270#msg59270 date=1254968544]
Nice work! We must've just missed you. Nice to see ya gettin' the youngin' out. I don't see enough of that. A nice day, eh. BTW, nice pictures. Hopefully see you guys out there in the future.

Thanks Jason, yes it was a nice day. We did talk with you guys briefly, about 1:30. You had just dropped off the ridge and had stopped in the bowl, we were skinning up. Your pictures are amazing..........
author=blitz link=topic=14151.msg59271#msg59271 date=1254968929]
that's FABULOUS!

great work early in year.  ;D

Thanks Alisa, and everyone else for the kind comments......

Gary and Jan

It was nice running into all of you. It really was a amazing day of sunshine and pow.
At one point I counted 15 seprate peeps tracking out the area.

Click here for a long boring version of the trip

LUV your tr kyle -- mr poster boy  ;) ... not soooo boring ... a really great read!

btw .. i've always loved that pic of you boarding at white pass with the glacier lilies .. one of my favorite hummel shots

Reply to this TR

october-4-2009-heliotrope-ridge
Gary_H
2009-10-06 19:27:18