Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2004, Paradise Gl, MRNP

April 10, 2004, Paradise Gl, MRNP

4/10/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kenji on 4/10/04 10:57am
Perfect timing.  I haven't had such a great corn snow for a long time.  I took my 16 yr-old up Muir after an interesting but less than ideal skiing at Snoqualmie last Thursday.  A lot of people today going up and down the Muir slope which was ok skiing.  However, we saw only a few skiers on upper Paradise Glacier which was smother but grabby.  The steeper slope down to the ice-cave basin had no tracks, and the snow was just perfect corn around 4 pm, smooth soft surface with firm base.  We wished it lasted longer.   It's such a great line from Anvil Rock all the way down to the basin.  A quick exit over Golden Gate finished a great spring tour.
Kenji,
Sorry we missed you.Gary Vogt and I  skied down the Paradise glacier from Moon rocks a little earlier (1pm) and in a farther north line. No sign of the major north south crevasse at the pitch break yet. We also thought the conditions were superlative.Skied out and down Mazama to the plowed road road to take advantage of west facing corn. Also ran into Roger Fick on way up.

OOps Kenji ,it was still good today when we skied it on the 11th. Sorry I confused the date. The crevasse was still not open ! :-)

Great info, Kenji and Robie, Thanks!

Reply to this TR

april-10-2004-paradise-gl-mrnp
Kenji
2004-04-10 17:57:42