Home > Trip Reports > October 3, 2009, - Palmer Snowfield, Mt Hood

October 3, 2009, - Palmer Snowfield, Mt Hood

10/3/09
OR Mt Hood
Posted by stoudema on 10/3/09 10:32am
I posted last months under lift served, though I hiked, so I'll post October here (still hiking).  Not many options in Oregon right now.  Moderators can move if they wish.

I arrived in the parking lot about 7:30am to meet Todd.  This was the view that greeted us....

Even with the fresh snow, it's amazing how little snow is left on the Palmer.  The lifts have been shut down for about a month now.  The good news is it's supposed to snow more today and tomorrow :)

This trip was special to me because I got to test out my summer project, a homemade Burton Custom 160 splitboard.  If anyone is interested in how I made it, check out this link:  http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7208

We made good time skinning the Mile canyon and Palmer, topping out about 150vf from the top of the Palmer lift, due to meltout.  Here's a shot of Todd on the way down:

Didn't get any real good action shots as the fog came in quickly and clouded the blue sky view we had for the skin up.  The splitter held up flawlessly on the skin up and the 2000 vf ride down.  I couldn't tell a difference between it and my factory setup :)

Conditions should be good tomorrow for anyone venturing out.
Nice pics, Matt. And good work on the splitter project. Glad to hear that it worked well for you.

We went up in the afternoon on Saturday and got some freshies, too. Your tracks must have been covered over by the mid-day snow. We were able to ski back to the car after leaving from the Palmer top station for a 2,500 vf continuous run.  Completed my 5th year and Dan's 14th.

Nice...I just went up 10/22/2009 to test out my new setup.  Marker Dukes on BD Zealots and walked for 2 hrs to the top of Palmer and all I could ski was to Silcox...your conditions looked more appealing.

We must have just missed you Joe_P. We were at the top of Palmer at 1:00pm. I would call conditions surprisingly decent. With the freezing overnight temps, the top two inches had softened up nicely by 1:00. We were able to start skinning just above the Silcox Hut following the old "snow tongue." On the way down, we pieced together a continuous ribbon of snow to within a couple hundred feet of Silcox. Certainly not the worst October ski I've had.

Wow - looks pretty bony up there right now.  Good work getting out.  Let's hope November brings a pile of snow with it!

author=J Leslie link=topic=14138.msg59644#msg59644 date=1256430086]
We must have just missed you Joe_P. We were at the top of Palmer at 1:00pm. I would call conditions surprisingly decent. With the freezing overnight temps, the top two inches had softened up nicely by 1:00. We were able to start skinning just above the Silcox Hut following the old "snow tongue." On the way down, we pieced together a continuous ribbon of snow to within a couple hundred feet of Silcox. Certainly not the worst October ski I've had.

Yeah, I started up around 12...I have yet to throw down on new skins for my new sticks...so I walked and packed my boots and skis to the top.  I was planning to go for a run from Crater Rock towards Zig Zag Glacier...but I ended up just riding the Palmer.  I think I saw you guys top out while I was passing Silcox and I took to the west of the Palmer Lift. 

Reply to this TR

october-3-2009-palmer-snowfield-mt-hood
stoudema
2009-10-03 17:32:17