Home > Trip Reports > October 1, 2009, Stowe, Vermont

October 1, 2009, Stowe, Vermont

10/1/09
US elsewhere
Posted by Jonathan_S. on 10/2/09 1:30am
And the first October TR is from . . . New England!
(Hah, you streakers are just a bunch of slackers when it comes to October.)

Here's the view from the gondola base of Stowe on Thursday afternoon:

My predecessors' tracks from a few hours earlier:

Time to ski (for real, albeit hardly really good skiing):

wow, great to see you out there ripping it up in the FASTGRASS! ;D

you shoulda gone for star or goat ;)

Nice job Jon!!  So the MX20s are your rock skis now?  Got 800g Dynafits with the new boot for racing this year?

If there's one thing the East Coast does better than the West, it's providing early season, easy access, ACL friendly turns...

Would a fatter ski give you better float on top of the grass?

Maybe we can talk Stevens, Alpental and Crystal into doing more summer lawn maintenance so we can jumpstart our ski season in the PNW...

Rusty, you dont "float" on grass!

Your old fashioned skinny skis are perfect in the grass (dont try to turn, just go - like ice - but MUCH slower). Better to save your fatties for the mashed potatoes later in the season.

author=blitz link=topic=14129.msg59171#msg59171 date=1254513696]
Rusty, you dont "float" on grass!

I've seen people floating on grass, but that was in the 60s. :-)

author=silaswild link=topic=14129.msg59167#msg59167 date=1254510291]So the MX20s are your rock skis now?  Got 800g Dynafits with the new boot for racing this year?

The MX20 is the choice for tours that have a high slog:ski ratio.  Well, okay, the hike was only 1650' up, but the ski was only 370' down, so might as well make the hike more enjoyable with such a lightweight setup.  The trail is very grassy, so as I expected, just a few very minor edge burrs and base scratches.

I'm seriously considering the DyNA if it's reasonably supportive, durable, and close-fitting enough to be used for late spring and early summer ski mountaineering.  Oh, and if I can actually get a pair...

Reply to this TR

october-1-2009-stowe-vermont
Jonathan_S.
2009-10-02 08:30:09