Home > Trip Reports > April 3-4, 2004, Spearhead Traverse

April 3-4, 2004, Spearhead Traverse

4/3/04
Posted by ski_photomatt on 4/7/04 1:27am

Mt. Fitzsimmons, Overlord, Mt. Fissle and their glaciated cloaks.  Singing Pass is just out of the photo to the right.

with Dan Perrakis, Phil Higuera, John Mauro

Almost exactly three years ago, my brother and I skied from the lifts at Whistler out to the top of Mt. Fissle, down the north face and back.  We relaxed on the summit for some time, staring at snow covered mountains as far as the eye can see.  I was struck by the skin tracks and tiny people making their way every which way, over broad cols and down large glaciers.  We traced with our eyes every possible ski route - by golly, it looks like one could ski from horizon to horizon without ever leaving the alpine!  Having been weaned on a steady diet of typically steep and clever Cascadian terrain, the Coast Range was quite a shock.  The mountains are made for ski touring.  I began to think of skis as much more than something to use to make turns, but rather as tools to cover distance efficiently.  John Baldwin's Exploring the Coast Range on Skis became an inspiration.  The Spearhead Traverse was placed near the top of the wish list.

An early start from Seattle, a gondola, and two quad chairs later we found ourselves at the base of the Blackcomb Glacier T-bar.  Another party also planning to do the Spearhead was patiently waiting for the lift to open, while a group from the VOC decided to skin the short distance to the top.  Within a few minutes the ski patrol gave the green light and we were quickly at the ski area boundary.  A short climb to East Col gave the first views of the traverse.  We consulted the map, determined which of the many skin tracks was the correct one, and set off.  The route crosses a few glaciers and makes a long climb to the Tremor-Shudder col.  From here, we crossed the aptly named Platform Glacier, a sizeable piece of ice perched on a flat platform high above cliffs plunging down to Fitzsimmons Creek.  The next col afforded a descending traverse across two glaciers to the Macbeth-Naden Col.  This is about the half way point of the trip.  We debated camping here, but the clouds to our west had been gradually thickening all day until they were now blotting out the sun.  We wanted to cover some more ground to minimize any potential difficult navigation on Sunday should the weather worsen, so we skied down the Macbeth Glacier and climbed the Iago Glacier to the next high col.  Here we found an abandoned camp complete with 4 ft high tent walls and decided to stop.  A little work widened one enough for our megamid.  By sunset, the clouds were flirting with the top of Overlord and we became increasingly concerned about a potential white out as we still had several more glaciers and high cols to navigate through before Singing Pass.

Fortunately, the worst of the weather passed through overnight and by morning few clouds remained to our west, while the clouds to our east were sleeping soundly in the low valleys.  A tiny numbin near camp provided grand views of glaciers from horizon to horizon.  We sat on top for some time, photographing, eating breakfast, enjoying the sunshine and dreaming of a lifetime of exploring.

Sadly, the time came to move on.  We packed up, descended to the Benvolio glacier and climbed to the high col between Overload and Benvolio.  A short detour took us to the summit of Overload.  By this time, the clouds had been woken by the sun and had risen into large puffy cumulus.  Fortunately, the light wind kept them confined to the valleys; tiny holes gave glimpses of glaciers far away adding mystery to the unfamiliar landscape.  A spiral descent of Overload, a shallow climb and a long descent took us to Russet Lake and Singing Pass.  We continued over the musical bumps and down to Whistler.  The town of Whistler evidently likes to set up stages and host parties at the bottom of the lifts on sunny spring weekends.  Sunday was no exception.  The apres ski crowd that had gathered was a jolting shock after seeing few people the entire weekend.

This tour has a distinct European feel. It starts at the edge of a town and provides instant access to the alpine via a huge lift system.  Skin tracks split every which way near the ski area boundaries, although in the center there was only one track.  The route is entirely on glaciers except for the section from Singing Pass to Whistler.  It is incredibly scenic;  the middle section is spectacular.  Few of the slopes are steep and it is accessible to solid intermediate skiers comfortable skiing with a full pack.  It felt a little rushed in two days, and three would be about perfect to take in more peaks and do some yo-yo skiing on the many fine slopes.
Are there advantages to doing the Spearhead Traverse from Blackcomb to Whistler, rather than the other way?  

The big difference is if you take the lifts up or not. By taking the Blackcomb lifts, you start at 8000 feet or so. By starting from Whistler, you start a bit lower down, somewhere in Harmony bowl, I think, and have a low point of Singing Pass (5500 feet) that you have to climb up from to get to the high point of Tremor col (around 8600 feet).

If you don't take the lifts, I think people usually hike or ski up the Singing Pass trail, which adds on about 5000 feet of climbing, lengthening the trip considerably.

For us, doing the whole trip in a weekend, to and from Seattle, taking the lifts was a no-brainer. Once we were going to take the lifts up, there was no reason to climb more than we had to. Plus the Baldwin book describes it in a clockwise direction (Blackcomb to Whistler).

Edit: Having said all that, if you went from Whistler to Blackcomb, there would be some amazing ski runs, especially down the Diavolo and Tremor glaciers. Of course, you'd have to climb the slopes that would otherwise be runs, but for some reason it seemed that there were more continuous ski runs if you went counter-clockwise...

Thanks for the TR, Matt. I'm pretty sure it's "Overlord", not "Overload", but the meaning is clear...

Starting at Blackcomb puts you in the alpine right away.  It would also be a long climb up from Singing Pass to near the top of Overlord starting from Whistler.  FWIW, all the parties that did it last weekend started at Blackcomb.

Yea, I know it's Overlord.  Such a fitting name as it's the highest peak around.  The peak and glacier names were for the most part colorful, much like the names in the Pickets.  I think my spell check flagged it, suggested overload and I hit replace instead of accept.  Or I was subconsciously thinking of overload since every time I saw it this weekend the Talking Heads song "Overload" played in my head..

Reply to this TR

april-3-4-2004-spearhead-traverse
ski_photomatt
2004-04-07 08:27:01