Home > Trip Reports > September 13, Muir Fun

September 13, Muir Fun

9/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by denny236 on 9/19/09 9:58am
Apologies for the delayed post...goes to show once you get down from the mountain how reality sets in again!  Anyway, we left the car at Paradise at an ever-so-early 11:45 am again (same late start as last month).  We made super quick time up to Pebble Creek...mostly fighting through herds of nay-sayers in disbelief I was actually carrying skis!  Was encouraged by this time we could see other skiers and even patches of "new" snow here and there.

It was a fun hike up the snow field, through some rocks, and venturing into some "deep stuff" off on the sides just for kicks.  We made it to roughly 8600ft where we saw other skiers getting ready for a lap (telemack/cmjstealth/mosetick).  The lack of overall snow on the snowfield was (in my opinion) offset by the patches of snow that fell over Labor Day.  Hopping from patch to patch made the day lots more fun.  I started skier's right from 8600ft through some decent new stuff making quick turns dodging some rocks but was happy to make first tracks somewhere!  A traverse over to skier's left is where most of the newer snow layed hugging the edge of the snowfield most of the way back to Pebble Creek.  Stopping here and there to goof around and take some photos, we met back up with the other skiers for the decent.

By this time clouds were rolling in on our beautiful day, making for some neat photos on the way down.  I think I can get the hang of this skiing-year-round stuff!  :)
Few more photos..

Good post and antics.  8)  Skiing in warm sun can be habit-forming.

Reply to this TR

september-13-muir-fun
denny236
2009-09-19 16:58:45