Home > Trip Reports > Sept 18, 2009, Muir - Brown Snow Delight

Sept 18, 2009, Muir - Brown Snow Delight

9/18/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Merk on 9/18/09 11:29am
I was hoping this could be a Muirless year for me, but that's o.k.  It was a bluebird perfect day up there.  Perfect temps, low crowds, and a nice section of smooth brown goodness.  There were a few patches of white stuff here and there, so I could be reminded of what I missed out on.  I got up to Pebble at 10:30 and went up to around 8K, the snow seemed to get bumpier as I climbed so I opted to head back down and just YO-YO the hell out of the lower snowfield.  At about 11:30 things were softening up nicely and good times were had.  Month 47 is a done deal!
Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/merkleyb/SeptemberTurns09#
- nice pics -  the deer with its "little set". you never quite know what you're gonna find. I think the snow could have gotten better as it"absorbed" the fresh. I typically yo-yo that way - I'll find a decent section and I'll put a few  laps on. You might be interested in my "little secret" of using Salomon Snowblades. They work very well for the summer snow. Back in the day (the 50's) in Europe, they invented them for the summer travel (less weight) - and the firn snow. They called them "firngliders". If you look for them now they're called "skiboards". 90 - 100 cm is the length ! I've skied 40 degree pitches at Lassen, down to the flats.  All Good.  Enjoy the rest of your weather up there. I'm in the Tahoe area.  Great Rpt

Reply to this TR

sept-18-2009-muir-brown-snow-delight
Merk
2009-09-18 18:29:21