Home > Trip Reports > September 2, 2009, Paradise Glacier edge

September 2, 2009, Paradise Glacier edge

9/2/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by wolfs on 9/2/09 3:55pm
Ah September. To jump on the early days? Or wait for fall temperatures and fresh snow? 5 years ago I had it both ways, with nice fresh on the Muir snowfield on Sept 5. But that hasn't happened since, and subsequent Septembers have been boney affairs.

I did this time what I should have done 3 weeks ago. Up to McClure then over the other side. Ended up just walking alongside the glacier on the ridge for a while before setting foot on the snow.

I stopped at a point below and lookers right of Moon Rocks, which is basically the start of that particular lobe. From there and back to McClure was skiable with just 2 short carries. Then got a few more turns on the first Pebble Creek field. Certainly more than 1000 vf. Some crevasse dodging in the sections closer to McClure but was easy to predict where good crossings would be, with this near-to-the-ice view of the glacier's innards.

Snow conditions were sometimes monster humps/cups, some wet-ice slush, and generally (no surprise) dirty snow with some embedded rocks. But between these challenges were some occasional nice stretches, and would say was pretty nice turning for September.

Weather above McClure windier and colder than below, it was downright hot on approach. Upper mtn was on again off again wrapped in clouds but all in all nice day out.

Gracias, Wolfs.  Maybe next weekend we'll try for some slim pickin's.

Reply to this TR

september-2-2009-paradise-glacier-edge
wolfs
2009-09-02 22:55:33