Home > Forum > Cascades permits: please help me!

Cascades permits: please help me!

• frand
  • [frand]
More
06 Apr 2004 01:45 #169177 by frand
Cascades permits: please help me! was created by frand
Hi from North Italy!<br><br>The day of our trip to Cascades is approaching!!! wow.<br>But confusion about climbing permits grows up, too!<br><br>I read on various skiing guides about wilderness permits, Cascades Volcano Pass, sno-park permits, climbing fees...... I'm really confused about what I need to do, to pay, to register.....<br><br>So I kindly ask somebody to explain me exactly what I need to ski climb, in order:<br><br>- Mt. St. Helen<br>- Mt. Hood<br>- Mt. Adams<br>- Mt. Rainer<br><br>The period will be from May 15th to May 31st.<br><br>Thanks a lot for your kind help.<br><br>Ciao from the Alps.<br><br><br>Andrea<br><br><br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2004 03:25 #169178 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Cascades permits: please help me!
<br><br>Yes, the permit process seems to be different on just about every volcano here in the cascades. Here's some of the info, I'm sure that what info I am incorrect on or do not have will be covered by someone else.<br><br>St.Helens is a tricky one....after Sunday May 9th every year there is a daily limit to the number of climbers allowed on the mountain (I think the limit is 50 or 100 climbers...I can't remember for certain). You need a permit, obtained from Jack's restaurant just west of the town of Cougar on your way up to the mountain. Some of the permits are reserved, but I believe some are available on a daily lottery? (I think) You're best bet might be to try this one mid-week when the crowds are lower and your odds of getting a permit are better.<br><br>Hood is an easy one, just a self-registered permit in a little kiosk at the Timberline ski area day lodge. No fees to get the permit just fill out the paperwork and you're good to go.<br><br>Adams, you need a permit and they are sold at the Trout Lake ranger station, but I think the permit is the same as the one you need for St.Helens so the permit you get at Jack's restaurant should be good for both if you choose to buy the 'annual' permit. <br>The access road to get to the Cold Springs trailhead will likely not be melted out while you are here, so your approach may be 5 or 6 miles longer and will involve skinning up the road. <br><br>Rainier- you'll need to pay for an park entry pass just to get into the national park, then you have to pay for a climbing permit on top of that. <br><br>I don't know the dates of when sno-park permits are required at Hood, St.Helens, and Adams but I think you'll be here late enough in the spring that you won't need one.<br><br>

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
06 Apr 2004 03:39 #169179 by MW88888888
Replied by MW88888888 on topic Re: Cascades permits: please help me!
Yes, snopark permits expire/are not used after april 15th I believe.

• frand
  • [frand]
More
07 Apr 2004 02:11 #169181 by frand
Replied by frand on topic Re: Cascades permits: please help me!
<br>Thanks to everybody.<br>It seems to be "difficult" to go in the wilderness in "freedom Country"!!!!<br><br>For St. Helens we have already received the climbing permit for the right day (as you suggested during the week!).<br><br>I'll write to the Gifford Pinchot Bureau to obtain more news about fees and permits.<br><br>For your experience the period we have choosen (15may-31may) is the right one to climb those mountains? <br>Can you suggest alternatives in case of bad weather.<br><br>Thanks a lot.<br><br>Ciao from the Alps.<br>

More
07 Apr 2004 03:54 #169182 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Cascades permits: please help me!
<br>Anytime between mid-May and mid-July is usually a good time to climb and ski those mountains. The weather is generally a bit more unsettled in May, but most storms only last for a few days so if you have two weeks you should have enough time to get through most of the mountains on your list.<br>If the weather is bad up in Washington while you are here, it may not be so bad further south, so if you don't mind spending half a day to a full day of driving, you could get down to the Three Sisters in the central Oregon Cascades or even Mt. Shasta in northern California.

• peaceriver
  • [strider]
More
07 Apr 2004 04:22 #169183 by peaceriver
Replied by peaceriver on topic Re: Cascades permits: please help me!
Greetings<br><br> I was speaking yesterday to a friend of mine who is a Backcountry Ranger at Mount Ranier about this same issue. Mt Ranier is planning for quite the busy year. He stated that over a thousand climbing permit requests were received April 1st for the upcoming season. The heavily requested times were for holidays, weekends, and the DC route. For some reason they will be having less walkup permits avaiable this year.<br> Your best bet is for midweek times, and a route other than the DC. e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I would be happy to share other info with you
Cordially
CW

• frand
  • [frand]
More
07 Apr 2004 18:32 #169188 by frand
Replied by frand on topic Re: Cascades permits: please help me!
<br>Thanks to eveyone who helped us!<br><br>May be we'll ask more infos when beeing there!<br><br>Ciao for the moment!<br><br>Andrea<br><br>If you need any info about Alps, just ask!