Home > Trip Reports > Table Mtn. - 28 August 2009

Table Mtn. - 28 August 2009

8/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by skunkape on 8/30/09 9:54am
Went to Table mountain for the monthly shred near Artist point on Friday afternoon(testing out the new skunk ape 67).  Planned to get some turns on table glacier but most of last years snowpack was melted leaving exposed rock debris on top of glacier.  Decided to instead try a cornice snow field area above table saddle.  Snow was as expected and the turns were fast.  This month completes two years of turns all year and hopefully this is only the beginning to some great posts in the future. Here is a photo from 1930, notice the table glacier in the upper right corner.  Today the glacier has almost completely melted out.  Please pay a visit to this one before it is gone.

http://www.lat-long.com/Latitude-Longitude-1528597-Washington-Table_Mountain_Glacier.html
I hiked across Table Mountain a couple days before you.
Photo 1 is a comparison shot to your interesting black and white picture (Scout camp,perhaps?)

Photo 2 is a section of the glacier that I presume you boarded on. 

How many vf can you get in one lap?  Also, what's the best way there?  Do you start by going up the Table Mountain Trail?  In September, it appears that desperate times will require desperate measures.

When I came down the section in photo 2 it was about 9:30 in the morning (after climbing the Table Mt.trail and traveling along the southern aspect of the mountain) and it was very icy. I was more concerned about not getting hurt than assessing for possible turns. Personally, I think that the small snowfield to your left as you start the Ptarmigan Ridge trail would make a more interesting ski if you don't want to venture too far from the car.

I just have to ask.
What is a skunape 67 that you where testing????

I believe its a Libtech Snowbaord.

^Ding-ding-ding^ 

I've got the 172 and love it but need to upgrade to the BTX. And props on testing out a new board in August! http://www.lib-tech.com/snow/snowboards/skunk-apes/

Reply to this TR

table-mtn-28-august-2009
skunkape
2009-08-30 16:54:00