Home > Trip Reports > Aug 27. BC at Cerro Bayo

Aug 27. BC at Cerro Bayo

8/15/09
Canada BC
Posted by Scotsman on 8/27/09 7:45am
At dinner last night with an ex-pat American skier who now lives in Bariloche, we were advised that Cerro Bayo had good BC access so we thought we'd give it a try.
Cerro Bayo is a small ski area ( Alpental =Cerro Bayo , Crystal= Cerro Catedral) about one hours drive from Bariloche on the other side of lake .

The weather had cleared up nicely and after a couple of runs down the groomers we decided to hike into the backcountry from the top chair. This involved a boot pack similar to going up the King at Crystal. Nobody was out there except us and we toured along a ridge away from the resort to a saddle before another peak. The bowl below looked enticing but runneled from the recent rains but we dropped in hoping to be able to traverse back into the resort at some time.

The snow was a bit spongy but skied OK and we continued being pulled down the fall line enjoying the skiing and views. Now skiing the fall line is great but it can also lead to problems especially when you are whooping it up and "in the moment".

By the time we had stopped we realized we had gone far too low. Rather than skin back up which was discussed and immediately dropped, we continued DOWN THE FALL LINE into a magnificent forest of huge Lenga trees and bamboo. Problem was to get back to the resort we now had to cross at least two large streams in quite deep gorges.  After negotiating the first crossing we decided the second one looked too gnary and too much work so we continued DOWN THE FALL LINE. Eventually we run out of snow but the forest was magnificent and after a bit of Cascadian bushwacking we came across a horse track( there was horse doo-doo) and followed the track which eventually led to an area where they did zip line tours. From here it was a short hike back to the base of the resort where we had a celebratory coca-cola.

The locals at the base asked us where we had been and after pointing they told us the area was called" Provincialas" and seemed quite impressed that we were stupid enough to go out there.

Here's some pics.

Like some spoiled child at the fair Scottie insisted on riding the pink hippo chair. We had to stand around waiting for the froggy, pussy cat and giraffe to pass by before he'd load.

Great to see that you went to Bayo.  I had read a few touring reports about the terrain but the snowpack was low when we were there.  A few things I remember about Bayo:
- they charged the same lift ticket price as Cathedral
- the single chair
-the entrance ramp to the lift was a drop in setup
- the access road which was massive potholes
-the paid parking area

A unique area. 

I'm reliving my past trips.  Keep'em coming !

Things have changed.
The ticket price was 285 vs 300 at Caterdal.( thats for 2)
The access road was freshly graded when we arrived.
Parking was free.
Our impression was that it was much better ran the Catedral. We actually saw patrollers and all the lifts where running.
The nearby town of Ville de Angositno was very clean and up market.

The touring potential is unbelievable as the resort offers easy access to some incredible terrain that just keeps on going.

We liked it and the views of the lake where incredible.

Alas, we return tomorrow so that's the end of our Argentinian reports.
We just got back from our now favorite restaurant " La Parilla de Tony".
We had blood sausage and chirizo sausage as appetizers followed by asado (  grilled ribs )  for me and lomo for Rob( like fillet mingion). It's a carnivores paradise.
I'm suffering from meat coma and need to go to bed!

There should be some great TR's coming from Marcus and gang. They've headed down to Ushuia, Cerro Castor.
I really liked my pink hippo chair.
Hasta luego y buenos notches!

Reply to this TR

aug-27-bc-at-cerro-bayo
Scotsman
2009-08-27 14:45:51