Home > Forum > Broken Ski Problem

Broken Ski Problem

• Curtman
  • [Curtman]
More
05 Apr 2004 10:22 #169174 by Curtman
Broken Ski Problem was created by Curtman
I am looking for information on getting a ski that is a very durable, high speed back country steep style ski. I'm 5'11, weigh 160, have been skiing for 36 years. I have had the unfortunate experience of breaking or bending the skis that I buy. Over this season I bent a pair of 2001/2002 Stormriders (194's) and broke a pair of Blizzard 7.2's. I pretty much find out about the damage at the end of a run or day & don't know what is breaking/bending the skis beyond just skiing. I like longer skis. The stormriders were excellent skis, the blizzards less responsive, but not bad. Considering Volkl 724 p, Stockli dp, or head i85.<br>Any suggestions on next ski?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alan Brunelle
  • [BigSnow]
More
05 Apr 2004 16:52 #169175 by Alan Brunelle
Replied by Alan Brunelle on topic Re: Broken Ski Problem
Wow!<br><br>You must be skiing narley terrain to bust skis like that in the backcountry. I can see that happening in tight moguls but.... Maybe you like to pound through tree wells?<br><br>I once bent some older skis. Apparently the older style ski with metal laminates tended to suffer from the bending problem. The metal would bend and hold the deformed shape, but that did not necessarily mean that the rest of the ski was structurally destroyed. The problem is there really isn't any way to bend the back and you could never be sure the ski was sound. Makes you wonder what value the metal had in the first place. I was told the solution is to not buy skis with metal top sheets or with metal laminate.<br><br>Breaking is another story. Today's skis are pretty tough and can handle even a car driving over them. (I know because I drove over a pair last year and the only damage suffered was severely bent bindings.)<br><br>I am sure others with much more knowledge on the subject will have better answers. Is Paul Parker lurking out there?

• Curtman
  • [Curtman]
More
10 Apr 2004 18:06 #169191 by Curtman
Replied by Curtman on topic Re: Broken Ski Problem
I do ski the bumps as well, but only about 15% of the time. I could be braking\bending in bumps, but I figure the skis should be pretty durable. I notice the metal at speed. It tends to really make the ski stable going fast. I'm thinking about volkl or head & hope they are durable.

• Sam Avaiusini
  • [savaiusini]
More
12 Apr 2004 11:27 #169198 by Sam Avaiusini
Replied by Sam Avaiusini on topic Re: Broken Ski Problem
Ski weight doesn't sound like a big consideration for you...<br>I'm 5'11 and 175ish. I am currently skiing the Rossi Bandit B2 in the backcountry and don't see any signs of it busting...FWIW. I know that Rossi has beefed up the Bandits from what they used to be...

• Curtman
  • [Curtman]
More
12 Apr 2004 17:19 #169199 by Curtman
Thanks, I'll give the B2's a look as well.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
12 Apr 2004 20:09 #169200 by JibberD
Replied by JibberD on topic Re: Broken Ski Problem
I've been skiing a Volkl G4 inbounds (G4 = 724 PRO, one model-year earlier). It is burly! If you can bend it, you're a massive powerhouse. My money would be on your bones or joints failing before the skis give.<br><br>The 724 is heavy for a touring ski, but having owned dozens of skis over the past 22 years they are, hands down, the finest ski I've ever been on. So if you can lug them up, you're certain to love them coming down.<br><br>724's mounted with the Fritschi FreeRide...nobody will be able to keep up with you downhilling the backcountry.<br><br>Good luck, and remember to avoid things like trees, boulders and creekbeds. They have ways of bending skis ;)<br><br>-Doug

• Curtman
  • [Curtman]
More
20 Apr 2004 09:29 #169230 by Curtman
Thanks for the feedback. I got the 724's from an excellent ski shop in North Bend. Only skied them one day so far, but they seem great.

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
20 Apr 2004 11:03 #169233 by JibberD
Should I go ask Martin and Caley for a commission?<br><br>Hope you put the Freerides onboard and that you've got quads of steel to get all that hardware uphill.<br><br>Sounds like you're set for much high speed fun. Congrats!

• Curtman
  • [Curtman]
More
23 Apr 2004 03:40 #169247 by Curtman
Thanks JibberD,<br><br>The quads always need work. Set the treadmill at 15.<br>Them guys passed the commision to to the customer.<br><br>-c

• JibberD
  • [JibberD]
More
25 Apr 2004 18:51 #169255 by JibberD
Hey, Curtman you're welcome!<br><br>You know there are many good reasons to buy from Martin in N Bend. For me the biggest is that he's a small local merchant who is raising a family here. The last time I saw him on skis he was out with his whole clan at Alpental. I'll support that commitment any day.<br><br>Not to mention that the products and services offered are pretty much top-notch. It's just a good deal all round. I'm sure you'd agree.<br><br>Just a little commentary on the concept of "think globally, act locally"