Home > Trip Reports > 08.15.09, Easy Patch

08.15.09, Easy Patch

8/15/09
Posted by kam on 8/15/09 4:31pm
Still good snow in the Easy Pass area, as Cass demonstrates below:

Allyson, Skip, Cass and I left north of Seattle around 8 am-ish, then started hiking from the Easy Pass TH at the crack of 11:45 am.  In about 1.5 hours we found ourselves at the pass, grabbed a quick bite, went off trail and walked up a moderately steep slope for another 500 vf. to gain Ragged Ridge.  Peering over the other side we spotted a nice treat, did a little down-climbing thingy, then proceeded to milk the 200 vf. patch for all it's worth.  The snow was actually pretty good, with a thin, thin layer of what appeared to be new snow  --- a freak cold shower from last night?  Satisfied, we booted back up to the ridge, told some jokes, laughed at Cass, enjoyed the views, then finished the day with a nice hike back to the car.  In summary, the Joy-0-Meter registered about 5% -- 3800 vf. gain with 200 vf. of skiing.  I've skied worse.

Absolutely hilarious photo!!! But on a serious note, it counts in my book!!!  :) Way to pull off August!

- shoot, that patch looks as if it needs a curvy road sign ! I was just on Shasta and you would dig the patch on Brewer Crk., but it goes straight.

Fun trip and great patch turns. 
More pics posted here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chriscass1/RaggedRidgeSnowPatchViaEasyPassNorthCascadesAugust152009?authkey=Gv1sRgCN2F1MjU8PzjuQE#

p.s.  Mosetick- great meeting you at Slush Cup!

Any day skiing beats hiking in my books.

Reply to this TR

08-15-09-easy-patch
kam
2009-08-15 23:31:40