Home > Trip Reports > Muir Snowfield, Mt. Rainier--Aug 04, 2009

Muir Snowfield, Mt. Rainier--Aug 04, 2009

8/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Moscawulff on 8/5/09 8:50am
Don and his son Daniel, Silas Wild, and Me (Brad) went hiking yesterday to Camp Muir with our choice instruments of snow slaying and shredding strapped to our backs. The weather was warm and calm in the Paradise lot, but cool and breezy at Muir (not to mention dusty). This is the second time this year I've come up behind congested hiking traffic on a volcano and immediately started mooo-ing in jest to inspire others to as well and find that the group ahead is on tour with a guide service. Although I think it's funny that we're at time much like cattle, and others like lemmings I sincerely hope no-one takes offense. Maybe if we all start mooo-ing we'll start a new popular BC trend?

Anyhow, back to the skiing: The conditions from Muir to Anvil were windy and sun-bowled (small moguls with kettles between) and required some aggressive turning to ski and lacking much grace. Below Anvil to Moon Rocks the snow was wind scoured cups that set up as vertical dunes with striations of hardened sediment inlaid at each crest. It felt and sounded like you were hitting small rocks at the crest of these dunes, however no damage to my skis occurred and actually the effect was remarkably that of a base grind removing the spring's built up pollen and skin glue reside. At 7600 feet we carried about 300 feet laterally to a patch covering Pebble Creek and skied our last 600 vertical feet on a slope somewhere in the range of 35-40 degrees...with a brief 100' vert. foot hike back up to the trail to the main Pebble Creek crossing. All said and done we achieved approximately 3000 vertical feet of skiing in one run...a damn fine achievement for the month of August. Now everyone do that lemming thing and get up there while it lasts!

One note of caution regarding the last patch, since the creek is draining below it please scope it on your ascent to determine if it's stable and safe...hope all of you are enjoying our wonderful summer weather.

The Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/powderhoar/MuirSnowfieldAugust042009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOywr-T48cW_Cw&feat=directlink
I should mention the main motivation for the trip was to join my friends Kelly and Aaron Miller.  They hiked up, along with Kelly's brother and two sons.  They beat us up the mountain, and beat us down.  Probably because we were too busy being cows, chewing our cud and following each other back and forth across the snow field.

] mooo-ing in jest  .....   a new popular BC trend?

If cows go skiing, do they bring their skins?  Cows with skis...

slope somewhere in the range of 35-40 degrees...

My memory is that it was a Kyle Miller approved sustained 55 degree slope.  And in my mind I didn't fall once.

One note of caution regarding the last patch, ....

is that it is the new secret stash.  We can't tell you where but we can take you there...for beer.

3 additional comments:
Silas didn't hitchike home! 
It was my son Daniel's first climb to Muir, and snowboard down!  Whoohoo I'v got a new partner!
Thanks guys for a great trip.

I wish that I could get my fellow skiers to wear red since it definitely makes for more interested pictures.  ;)  I see that Silas has upgraded from pale pink to flamboyant red. Hopefully, I can hook up all of your group before the year is up.

It was nice to run into you guys at Cougar Rock camp last week!  What a surprise to see Silas pop out of the van!!  Allyson and I finished our relaxing honeymoon walk around the Wonderland Trail in about 8 days in near-perfect weather.

Beautiful flowers out there!

Nice report and (derail!) CONGRATULATIONS KAM AND ALLYSON!!

Reply to this TR

muir-snowfield-mt-rainier-aug-04-2009
Moscawulff
2009-08-05 15:50:02