Home > Trip Reports > April 4, 2004, Snoqualmie Mt., Slot Couloir

April 4, 2004, Snoqualmie Mt., Slot Couloir

4/4/04
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by JimmyO on 4/4/04 10:57pm
Original plans for West Face Red Mt were scuttled by reports of top 800 feet in avy debris and the need for an early start in any case.  It appeared that south faces would be corny, but steeper ones debris laden, so moderate gladed runs seemed best.  We though about Blewett Pass to have more aspects available but settled on the slot, hoping the sun would burn through, the day would warm up and the narrow shaded couloir would soften up some, knowing we ran rist of ice or crust and would then just retreat back the way we came.

Late start from car Sunday at 9:00 (thanks to time change plus the always foolish self-decption of "snoqualmie is so close, such a short day, yawn, why hurry?)  Approach was variable conditions, from icy and crusty (shade) to up to a foot of slush to nice corn we had to bypass.  We (Vincent, Greg M and I) caught a group of 4 including Corey just below the top at a break. They had the "honors" and we were soon joined by Chad and another feller - nine lazy dudes at the top of the couloir (3 tele 6 AT).  Starbucks could have made some bucks there...

The top was hard/crusty.  Skiable because no debris, (although any crust broken off by the skiers rained down on those below and to the side) but definitely challenging.  The cliff walls around the couloir are steep, so it doesn't see sun, and you need to be prepared for sustained steep skiing 800 vf in sketchy conditions, as you really can't tell what you're going to get until you're in it. We started down after 1pm so I think you need a warmer day to make it better conditions.  The fan below the couloir, I believe another 800 vf, was corn, with both open lines and some through a lightly treed glade.  Fantastic.  Like you read about.

Before, I've left by climbing the short steep shot at the southish end of the drainage on the left.  This time we followed the crew on a meandering tour that took us over one short ridge, then down and over by snow lake then up to the saddle with the Alpenthal valley, then across the saddle to the West.  An aesthetic tour out.  

We made one mistake. We should have skinned all the way to the big bowl which is far skiers right looking back down towards Alpenthal, and then down its moderate pitch with good coverage, but instead we cut in following traverse tracks a little early and ending up having to downclimb some through what we ultimately saw from below was a broad cliff band.  We had not originally planned to return that way so we had not scouted in advance.  Then followed a good skiers trail to the Alp cat track out.

A much longer day then we had expected, but a good one.  Thanks to the Red Mt trip reporters for alerting us to try something else!

Jimmy O
Glad to hear your day went well, guys! :)

Yep, a fun day.  Always so nice to meet friendly folks in the mountains.  I'm thankful for that.  Definately I would suggest to folks planning to use the Snow Lake divide as an exit that you are better off just skiing down to the lake (or very close to it) and then climbing up to the obvious divide where there is still good coverage and the skiing is casual.  If the skin track we followed is still there I would suggest people not use it.

i think if i remember correctly from the col above snow lake you just need to climb over the little hump there and continue along the crest to the easier descent.  

nice to meet you all.   :)

can anyone confirm for me whether Lundin is the peak with the long, open chute?  if so, approx what is the pitch?  i'm thinking of shoeing up on sat a.m. and shredding down.  even if it gets relatively soft it should be decent on a board.

thanks-mc

yes, Lundin has a long south-ish facing chute.  It's probably in the neighborhood of 35-38 degrees, I'm guessing.

Reply to this TR

april-4-2004-snoqualmie-mt-slot-couloir
JimmyO
2004-04-05 05:57:04