Home > Trip Reports > 7/31 - 8/1 Knapsack, Spray Park Patches

7/31 - 8/1 Knapsack, Spray Park Patches

7/31/09
Posted by Merk on 8/2/09 1:37pm
I decided to finally try out the 2 for 1 special up at Mowich.  I left July hanging till the end due to a 3 week Belizean vacation.  So I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get my August turns in too.  3 weeks in Belize can make one really appreciate being lazy.  Not good for one seeking out July/August turns at Rainier. 

I opted to load a cooler full of Curve Ball ale and Johnsanville Brats into the car, along with my BBQ and chair and tent to make my stay at Mowich Lake Campground as pleasant as possible.  Friday I hiked my lazy butt up Knapsack in hopes that there would be some leftovers after the heatwave.  I found the remnants of a once great snowpack on Mt. Pleasant, where I proceeded to Yo-Yo 4 runs in 2 hrs totalling 1000 vert.  July turns, Done.

Day 2, a slight hangover at 6am and cruising up to Spray Park, I set my sights for just below the Flett Headwall to get my turns.  Unsure of the best way to get there I went the east end of the park and followed the first substantial looking snowfield I saw.  It took me up to a dead end and a bush whack to get any further.  I did what any other lazy ass would do and decided to take the plunge back to Spray Park Trail.  As lame as that was, August turns, Done.

Mosquitoes were INSANE!  bring repellant if you go.  May September turns be fresh!
Nice job.  It does show how the once-a-month thing is a bit arbitrary (Wow! 2 months of skiing in only 2 days!  ::) ) but that is the game we play. 
Why not stay at Mowich until September 1?  I'll come up for turns and help with the beer.  ;)

I could hang out at Mowich till then, maybe if you brought along a couple pints of blood and some new mosquitoe repellant for me!

I'm hoping to "do the Flett" on the weekend of the 14th.  I wonder if there will be decent snow left?

MT

Sorry we missed you!  We were camped on the ridge below Observation Rock, same time frame.  Suncups weren't bad in the late, late afternoon.

Hey Dr telemark, not sure how the Flett will be on the 14th.  I'm guessing you should be o.k.  since it has cooled off a bunch.  Regretably I didn't get that far, but maybe Stugie could give you a better guess than I.  Sorry I missed you guys too, some company would've been good for my motivation. 

I think of Chris Farley telling me I could be "living in a van, down by the river!"

Reply to this TR

7-31-8-1-knapsack-spray-park-patches
Merk
2009-08-02 20:37:47