Home > Trip Reports > july 10, 2009, mt washington, tuckerman ravine

july 10, 2009, mt washington, tuckerman ravine

7/10/09
US elsewhere
Posted by icelanticskier on 7/25/09 10:13am
hey there!

been a lurker over here for a short time and noticed there were no reports from the right coast. i didn't look too far back though.

we had another pretty darn good sliding season out here with turns from about the 3rd week in october 08, to mid july, giving us a pretty normal 9 months of skiing. the presidential range of new hampshire is dear to my heart and is a big reason i chose to make my home here (i'm from the east and have spent some winters in the wasatch). we have some wicked weather and a great maritime snowpack that is quite durable and gives us months on end of amazing corn skiing whether we get overnight refreezes or not. never really gets punchy out here even on the hottest of sunny days meaning you can farm an aspect and keep farming it till yer too tired to continue. in winter till mid april it's great to ski from the summit to yer car which drops 4300 vert over about 4 miles with terrain that starts as wide open snowfields for the top 1000 vert to the averaged pitch 50+ degree tuckerman ravine for another 1300 vert to treeline, then 2000 vert of classic twisty, windy, narrow, ski trail, the sherburne ski trail. summit to car runs on the west side are about the same vert with some amazing terrain. it's fun to do summit to car on one side, then do summit to car on the other side the next day.

anyway, my last day skiing here was july 10th. it was a below average winter/spring on mt washington with only about a bit more than 200 inches of snowfall and hardly any falling after mid march (very rare). may/june of 97', the mountain received over 100 inches providing skiing into august with turns every month that year. now, we aren't skiing as much vert or turns as the bigger places to the west, but i can asure you, the corn don't get much bettah! some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40382547@N06/?saved=1

love this one with waterfall. the sun cups are very rare here in spring and these skied very smoothly as the snow was perfect peel away about 2 inches deep.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40382547@N06/3711995302/sizes/l/in/photostream/

little video action here, short and sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ULBdAS_Iw

now just gotta wait till late september or october for more turns out here.

be well

rog
Tons of transplants here, so tux isn't exactly an unknown quantity. Glad you got some good summer turns in. Every once and a while I miss watching naked drunks in rear entry boots do the headwall, but then I realize I get to ski real lines in July and quickly recover.

Loved the video.  Suprised you didn't hit the bridge gap.

You're preaching to the choir, Tucks is the boss.

author=andyski link=topic=13881.msg58022#msg58022 date=1248582539]
Tons of transplants here, so tux isn't exactly an unknown quantity. Glad you got some good summer turns in. Every once and a while I miss watching naked drunks in rear entry boots do the headwall, but then I realize I get to ski real lines in July and quickly recover.

transplants out there from here? no! ;D

ya, tux can be quite the $hit show at times, but fortunately i only ski mid-week and avoid the place in april so i haven't had the chance to see too much sillyness in my hundreds of trips skiing around the whites. i usually ski tux early/very late season as there are so many great options all over the range in all of the other months. out of the 30-40 days that i ski up there each season, i usually don't see another soul cept for those that i'm touring with. the powder skiing can be downright fabulous as well, as most folks are keeping to the resorts leaving all of the goods up high to a dedicated few. it's so nice to have a very alpine mt range in a part of the world where folks from outside of new england don't bother to come ski tour. keeps the crowds to a minimum cept for tux in april-on weekends.

one question for ya: define "real" ski lines for me would ya? ;)

rog

author=MW88888888 link=topic=13881.msg58026#msg58026 date=1248621914]
Loved the video.  Suprised you didn't hit the bridge gap.

thanx, ya fun day for a few turns in the sun on a beautiful day. the snow was so delicious! one thing we generally don't get here is less than stellar corn snow.

the snow bridge was fun to look at, but would've been super sketch to cross.

maybe i'll post a vid or two from some other ravines from this winter during 20 inch storms. can you say over the head?

rog

I fixed it for you (hee hee):
author=andyski link=topic=13881.msg58022#msg58022 date=1248582539]
Tons of traitors here[...]

author=Jonathan_S. link=topic=13881.msg58085#msg58085 date=1248840877]

hey jonathan!  :D

rog

author=Jonathan_S. link=topic=13881.msg58085#msg58085 date=1248840877]

I was a Met fan in Boston (since 1984), so I don't bruise easily.  ;D

Crowds in New England? Unbelievable. 

I think the record USFS count of people in Tux on a single day is 4,000.

author=Jonathan_S. link=topic=13881.msg58112#msg58112 date=1248960022]
I think the record USFS count of people in Tux on a single day is 4,000.

that would be a day with a very crowd drawing race event that take place up there most april's on a weekend at the peak of most folks once a year annual pilgrimage to ski the legend. i think the most people a saw in there this season on the many occasions i passed through as an access or exit from other locales was maybe just 4 other skiers.

it's still a very quiet range on a whole compared to say, the wasatch (i know, i used to tour there over 100 days a season), and our corn is spectacular in comparison on any given day. intermountain snowpack corn? fickle as it gets more often than not, which is why i want to get to the pnw sooner than later.

rog

author=Lahar_Dar link=topic=13881.msg58115#msg58115 date=1248963095]
Nah, just keep telling yourself you have a legend in your back yard! No need to come out to the PNW. FWIW, Sierra corn is the cob-nobbingist!!

sierra corn? so i have heard. furthest south i have skied is in the bend area of oregon.

rog

Reply to this TR

july-10-2009-mt-washington-tuckerman-ravine
icelanticskier
2009-07-25 17:13:41