Home > Trip Reports > July 23, 2009, Flett Glacier (yes, another)

July 23, 2009, Flett Glacier (yes, another)

7/23/09
Posted by Andy Hill on 7/24/09 1:28pm
Long hike in, but can't beat the alpine meadow flowers and view.  On trail at noon and back at car by 6p.  Lotta hiking on dirt for a few turns, but worth it.  Here's the numbers from one of my ski partners:
"I was playing with my GPS and topo programs, I got that the total trip one way was 5.28mi with gain of +3344ft and -676ft. The total skiing (including the rockcrossings) one way was 1.73mi and vertical ski was 1515ft.

One of the maps I have indicate that we were not on the wonderland trail but instead on the spray park trail. The washington topo program however indcated we were on the wonderland trail and also we skiied about 2/3rds of the lengt of the Flett Glacier (these are really more like snowfields)."
author=Elmer link=topic=13877.msg58005#msg58005 date=1248496095]
One of the maps I have indicate that we were not on the wonderland trail but instead on the spray park trail. The washington topo program however indcated we were on the wonderland trail.

The reg. Wonderland Trail goes N of Mowich Lake to Ipsut; the Spray Park Trail is a higher variation and rejoins the WT at the Carbon.
How was the Spray Park Trail---not too soaked or difficult to follow?  We went over Knapsack Pass, but at only 1 mile shorter it is a big hump if the route is to upper Spray Park and the Flett.

He that's me in the white shirt with Kathleen and Andy - very nice day  thanks for a great time!!!

Mac, knapsack pass was bone dry already.  We stepped off the Spray Park Trail to don our ski boots at ~6050 ft - tiptoe thru the rocks a little at first, the snow is melting out fast...

Hey cool!  Obviously I didn't recognize you....

Don, Brad and Holly hit it July 31st, followed by myself, Kyle and Jill.  Lots of suncups, but still lots of fun.  Hiking out on Saturday was incredible...not only how much of that area is in full bloom right now, but also how many hikers there were on trail.  We probably passed near 40 people on trail on the way down!  Yeah, I've taken to calling it the Flett snowfield as well!

Just an added note... bug spray. Definite requirement for the area!

http://picasaweb.google.com/teleskichica/MowichToFlettGlacier?feat=directlink

Reply to this TR

july-23-2009-flett-glacier-yes-another
Andy Hill
2009-07-24 20:28:15