Home > Trip Reports > April 4, 2004, Lichtenberg Mtn.

April 4, 2004, Lichtenberg Mtn.

4/4/04
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Alan Brunelle on 4/4/04 8:18am
A very nice day, though I am going to make a guess and say that it was probably a lot warmer on Saturday.  This was my first trip into this region and my first backcountry trip this year.  I got a late start ~9AM, but anything in the shade up high throughout the day remained frozen.  I really shouldn't complain about the snow conditions, because it was MY condition that seemed to be lacking.  Up high the snow had a marginally supportive crust of refrozen corn/sugar, which with my, now narrow skis, did not always support my weight, at just the wrong times!  I skied defensively down about half way where the conditions and sun melted the crust and made for more fun skiing.  It also probably helped that I began to remember just what it is I do with a pack on my back and my confidence grew as did my enjoyment lower down.

I met three skiers during the day, one who was turning around and descending, the others near the summit.  I am grateful for the two near the summit for directions for a descent that was more direct than the ascent.  I can't wait to get back there to repeat this one when the snow consolidates a bit more higher up.  Given the snow depths, my guess is that the trip will be in good condition for the next two weeks or more.  

I am really impressed by the vast number of possible trips in this compact area.  A half dozen cars at the Smith Brook pullout.  It seems that most of the skiers were headed to Union or Jove, but given the heat and the still sliding snow, I chose this trip as a solo.

Alan

Reply to this TR

april-4-2004-lichtenberg-mtn
Alan Brunelle
2004-04-04 15:18:26