Home > Trip Reports > July 19, 2009, Mt. Daniel, Hyeth's (sp?) remains

July 19, 2009, Mt. Daniel, Hyeth's (sp?) remains

7/19/09
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by infamous on 7/20/09 11:05am
Hiked the well maintained Cathedral Pass trail to Peggy's Pond (after a couple of wrong turns which I won't make when I actually summit).  Worked my way up the U-shaped valley that once cradled the Hyeth Glacier, or at least that's what some old timing Nature Conservancy guy told me it was called.  The snow patch on the USGS map is not named.  Not much left of this dead glacier, but enough to make my trip worth while.  Was surprised to connect the snow all the way back down to Peggy's Pond meadows only having to take my skies off once.  Don't know how much longer that will last. 

Met a couple of female TAYers up there who had summitted sans skies and they said that continuing to the summit wouldn't be much fun for me due to the mighty traverses underlain by glacially polished exposures of breccia and granite (you breccia) that would get me there.  I suppose continuing to north face and Lynch Glacier would have been epic but I was just there for some easy Julys.  Pretty well sun-cupped on my eastern aspect but still worth the hike.

Don't worry about the Scatter Creek ford unless you're driving a Le Car.

That's the Hyas Glacier, now melted back to just a disc of ice under the east peak.  Maybe your informant had a lisp.

Reply to this TR

july-19-2009-mt-daniel-hyeth-s-sp-remains
infamous
2009-07-20 18:05:51