Home > Trip Reports > July 17-18 Flett and Russell Glaciers

July 17-18 Flett and Russell Glaciers

7/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snowdawg on 7/19/09 12:38pm
After getting a late start and getting swarmed by bees at Mowich Lake, Snowdawg Jr. and I headed up Knapsack Pass to look for Keith. We met up wit keith as he was headed up Mt. Pleasant so we stopped fro a bite and snapped some photos of him coming down. As we were coming down the ridge into spray park, we were surprised to see a black bear, who ran off as soon as he heard us. This was pretty exciting for Snowdawg Jr. since he has never seen a bear in the wild. As we approached the base off the Flett, we ran into more animals this time goats.

Due to the late start we were only able to get in one short run the first day so, went to around 7900 on the Flett and arrived back into to camp just in time to watch the sun set.

Day two had us headed up to the Russell Glacier. The russell glacier was not in as good of shape as we would have liked, but good turns were made especially on the lower part. Crossed over to the Flett and the snow started to get very sticky as the day warmed up. Packed up our gear with the intention of riding Mt. Pleasant on the way out , but we zigged when we should have zagged so we hiked out on the Wonderland Trail.

From where we camped we could see Sky, Ryan, Dan, and Eric's tracks and all I can say is WOW, what an amazing run!
Thanks for the picture! Sorry I didn't hook up with you on Saturday. Did you ski the headwall? On Saturday morning I was just hurting too much and knew if I did go over there I would hurt alot more.

The snow was superb and smooth corn on the steeper sections but suncupped on the lower, flatter areas--but very soft and manageable. Bugs were BAD. Take some juice. The skiing off Mt. Pleasant will be good for awhile.

Nice meeting Andyski in the parking lot and running into GlenB and Lordhegie on the way down. I hope Hedgie is feeling better soon.

Picture of Snowdawg and Snowdawg Jr. below Knapsack Pass and in front of yours truly's tracks in the background.

More pics at my website: Mt. Pleasant ski and backpack, July 17 and 18, 2009.

Great photos on your blog Keith.  Mack and I left the face of Pleasant clean for you.  We thought, "Keith will be up here soon no doubt.  We had ought to leave him a fresh line or two."  Thanks again for turning me on to that tour last year.  Knapsack is a bit grueling with overnight packs but it is short enough to forget soon after.  (for my knees anyway ;))

Did anyone happen to find my sunglasses?  (Bolle)  I believe that they fell off my pack when I transitioned in the snow to boot up to Knapsack.  They should have been just to the left of Snowdawg's head in the above photo.
Thanks.

author=Snow Bell link=topic=13849.msg57880#msg57880 date=1248108717]

Did anyone happen to find my sunglasses?  (Bolle)  I believe that they fell off my pack when I transitioned in the snow to boot up to Knapsack.  They should have been just to the left of Snowdawg's head in the above photo.
Thanks.

Damn dude, those where killer sunglasses and you looked so debonair in them. I hope you get them back.

did not see them but next time I'm over there I'll scour around...

Thanks Chris.
Fortunately I look debonair without them too.  ;D

author=Snow Bell link=topic=13849.msg57885#msg57885 date=1248110329]
Thanks Chris.
Fortunately I look debonair without them too.  ;D

Indeed!

author=Keith_Henson link=topic=13849.msg57873#msg57873 date=1248101076">
Thanks for the picture! Sorry I didn't hook up with you on Saturday. Did you ski the headwall? On Saturday morning I was just hurting too much and knew if I did go over there I would hurt alot more.

The snow was superb and smooth corn on the steeper sections but suncupped on the lower, flatter areas--but very soft and manageable. Bugs were BAD. Take some juice. The skiing off Mt. Pleasant will be good for awhile.

Nice meeting Andyski in the parking lot and running into GlenB and Lordhegie on the way down. I hope Hedgie is feeling better soon.

Picture of Snowdawg and Snowdawg Jr. below Knapsack Pass and in front of yours truly's tracks in the background.

More pics at my website: Mt. Pleasant ski and backpack, July 17 and 18, 2009.

Nice TR Snowdawg and Keith.  Keith, the snowboarder you referred to on your website was me. My 33rd month! Mighty fine, steep lines out there...I should have followed your line on Mother, but stayed skiiers left for a fun down climb, only to up climb!

Keith, Did not ski the headwall and kicking myself for not doing it. Also, I have several photos I will be sending your way soon.

cjm720 congrats on 33 months.

Reply to this TR

july-17-18-flett-and-russell-glaciers
snowdawg
2009-07-19 19:38:14