Home > Trip Reports > Failed Trip to Russell/Flett 18 July

Failed Trip to Russell/Flett 18 July

7/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by lordhedgie on 7/19/09 7:54am
Glenn_b and I set off from Mowich lake around 11AM, passing Keith on our way up to Knapsack Pass.  The intent was to make camp on the lava beds just past Mt Pleasant, and play on Russell and Flett in the morning.

Within an hour of setting out, I started feeling tired and sick.  By 2:30, we were still a few hundred feet below the Knapsack Pass, and it was obvious that I was getting worse by the minute.  I put my skis on, made 200 vf of turns in wonderful snow, then spent two hours hiking down 800 vf of trail.  Wow.

Anyway, I left Glenn on the mountain, and hopefully he'll have a much better TR tomorrow with details of the glaciers.  But here's a word of warning -- if you start feeling sick, get off the mountain as soon as possible.  Today I feel much worse, and if I had camped up there I'm not sure I would have been able to get down today.

Oh -- conditions up to Knapsack are about 30% snow covered, with the trail is fairly good condition.
Tough break; sounds as if you had a bug before you left.
So did you camp at Mowich Lake while waitng for your adventuring friends?  How is that campground?  Is it horribly skeeter-and-bee infested?

No, I got out pretty quickly.  I'm glad, too, because by 8PM I was a quivering mass of goo.  But yeah,I'm not the only one in my office at home today.

Didn't see too much of the camp except that it was very crowded.

author=telemack link=topic=13845.msg57888#msg57888 date=1248110742]
Tough break; sounds as if you had a bug before you left.
So did you camp at Mowich Lake while waitng for your adventuring friends?  How is that campground?  Is it horribly skeeter-and-bee infested?

the mosquitoes and black flies are out in force

Reply to this TR

failed-trip-to-russell-flett-18-july
lordhedgie
2009-07-19 14:54:39